Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you need the outflow float on the LQ????

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you need the outflow float on the LQ????

I am one of the early converts to the LQ: I am on at least my 5th year with it. The only problem I have ever had with mine is the outflow float. The post has deteriorated and fallen off of two separate assemblies. Now I have just hooked a direct connection through the outflow port into the hose and into the regulation valve and it has me wondering....Do you really even need the outflow float?? What does it really do? Why should you care if the LQ drains down to the level of the outflow hole when the pump shuts off?
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you need the outflow float on the LQ????

You don't need it as long as the inlet flow keeps up. If it ever sticks closed or stops flowing for any reason the LQ will empty and the pump will suck air and lose prime.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I could see that possibly happening but unless you had it full open it would be unlikely. And even then perhaps not possible. I wonder if anyone else has has the out flow float fail? I suspect it is because the weight in the float on that side causes more stress on on base of the assembly. I attempted to reinforce mine with epoxy but the high chlorine concentration seem to break down epoxy. My only concern would be that the chlorine consumption would be greater without an out float but I would think the regulator valve is ultimately what controls that anyways. I am going to run mine in this new config for a few weeks to see if there is any difference in operation.
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Hasa is a very cool company. I emailed them to let them know about the failure of my outflow assembly and without even requesting proof of purchase they are mailing me a new one. But I must say it seems to work just fine without it.
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator