Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool build in san antonio need help deciding

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool build in san antonio need help deciding

Ok getting quotes starting this week. This is what I think i want, tell me what you think. I have thick skin so fire away.
    20 x 30 Freeform 3' x 6' large tanning lounge with entry steps bubbler on lounge with separate valve and umbrella anchor
    Gunite shell flagstone coping 351 sq ft sundeck 2 skimmers 2 main drains 5 returns 1 cleaner line

1.5 and 2" sch 40 PVC
    Pentair intelliflow smart pump
    Pentair 60 DE Filter
    Polaris 280 and Pentair booster pump
    Pentair rainbow 320 chlorinator
    Pentair intellibrite led light with remote facing away from house
    Ez touch computer system with wireless remote
    Natural boulder grotto with seat bench 6 1/2 wide and 3' tall
    SRS Turbo twister slide wrapped around grotto. Both controlled by remote
    Loop lock mesh pool cover
    Pebble tec plaster

Ok pbs and posters fire away. Going to get quotes etc from 4 PBs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool build in san antonio need help deciding

Welcome to TFP!

Actually, what you have listed all looks pretty good. Do you have a diagram to post? I'd like to see where the skimmers are in relation to your returns. I don't see any UV/ozone or mineral systems and that's good.

3. Back To Top    #3

The thing that stands out to me is the tanning ledge size. It sounds like it is going to be part of the steps leading into the pool (I agree a drawing would be helpful). Even if this 3x6 ledge were perfectly rectangular, that is not much room to use as a step and a lounge area. There was a post on one of the forums where someone had a 4x8 ledge and the way it was curved (4 ft wide at its widest point only, so most of it was narrower), it was only useful as a large step. If you really want to lounge, think about the space you would need for that as well as room for people to use the steps to get in and out at the same time.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

4. Back To Top    #4

I do have a sketch and will attempt to upload once i get home. I will also make the tanning lounge bigger. I appreciate your input! Anything else?

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry guys what is SWG??? Also my PB is pushing the optional salt chlorine system for 1200.00 i guess you attach it to the automatic in line chlorine dispenser?

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

SWG stands for salt water generator. It makes chlorine from the salt that would be added to the pool water. It makes for easy chlorine adding. Does the Pentair rainbow 320 chlorinator use pucks? I would stay away from anything that uses pucks or powered chlorine or you will eventually get too much CYA seeing it's in those chemicals. Liquid chlorine or an SWG is the way to go.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bpricedo
    The thing that stands out to me is the tanning ledge size. It sounds like it is going to be part of the steps leading into the pool (I agree a drawing would be helpful). Even if this 3x6 ledge were perfectly rectangular, that is not much room to use as a step and a lounge area. There was a post on one of the forums where someone had a 4x8 ledge and the way it was curved (4 ft wide at its widest point only, so most of it was narrower), it was only useful as a large step. If you really want to lounge, think about the space you would need for that as well as room for people to use the steps to get in and out at the same time.
    ours is 7x7 and is just right. We wanted it big enough that we could put 2 lounge chairs on it.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    SWG stands for salt water generator. It makes chlorine from the salt that would be added to the pool water. It makes for easy chlorine adding. Does the Pentair rainbow 320 chlorinator use pucks? I would stay away from anything that uses pucks or powered chlorine or you will eventually get too much CYA seeing it's in those chemicals. Liquid chlorine or an SWG is the way to go.
    the rainbow 320 is a puck based inline chlorinator - would stay away from that especially in texas. However with flagstone coping, I wouldnt get a SWG either.

The best bet is a stenner pump, with a 15 gallon tank, pumping bleach directly into the return line.

salt water pools eat flagstone in texas
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry this was from another PB with different equipment.

Gary pools pump system 3 hp 2 speed pumping system with 2" plumbing. Turn over rate is 5 to 6 times per daywith four adjustible return inlets???

Hayward high capacity cartridge filtration system 425 sq ft with a 150 gpm flow rate.

Automatic in line chlorine dispenser Optional salt chlorine system.

17x30 382 sq ft pool 12000 gallons

Everything else was pretty much the same.

10. Back To Top    #10

The first PB proposal sounds better to me, and you should make a decision on exactly which type of filter you want (DE, cartridge, or the new hybrid quad DE). If you get a slide, you'll have to be careful with safety stuff include depth of pool where the slide meets the water. Pebble tech is good, but make sure you decide exactly which variant you want. Autofill?
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is the problem Matt, im just learning and reading so I dont know what I want LOL. The slide will go into the 6 ft end of the pool. Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

PB#3 comes tomorrow. Any

13. Back To Top    #13

I would want a SWG system, And I'd change coping to get it.

I agree with above that the tanning ledge is to small. Do you have kids?

With a slide and grotto you're spending some bucks, considered an auto cover?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

14. Back To Top    #14

I live in Texas and have OK Flagstone for coping and my spa spillover and have not had issues with my salt water pool eating my flagstone. there are many arguments for and against SWG and flagstone. As stated, after 3 years we have not had any issues but i suspect that at some point we will see some detioration but not soley from the SWG. I love it and the ease it provides for us in keeping our chlorine levels where they need to be. We did have our coping sealed before opening the pool though.

Good Luck with your decisions!
    17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks a million for the advise. This would be the OK flagstone, and I have friends that have not had any issues. I do have kids and will most likely do the loop lock cover if that is what you were asking. The grotto is still being debated and may go with waterfall instead. The slide is non debatable I'm being told. Is the loop lock cover good?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Todd117
    Thanks a million for the advise. This would be the OK flagstone, and I have friends that have not had any issues. I do have kids and will most likely do the loop lock cover if that is what you were asking. The grotto is still being debated and may go with waterfall instead. The slide is non debatable I'm being told. Is the loop lock cover good?
    I was referring to an automatic cover. (read this short article that explains them and the purpose http://aquamagazine.com/content/post/Th ... overs.aspx) One that you open when you want to use the pool, and close it when you aren't using your pool. This keeps the pool covered all the time, not just in the winter when you close it down.

There are several different brands out there, and the best results are when you design the pool with that feature in mind, they are expensive however, mine for instance was $12,000 for 18'x43', but personally I wouldn't want the pool without it.

Here are some companies ...

http://www.automaticpoolcovers.net/
    http://www.coverpools.com/
    http://www.poolcovers.com/
    http://www.travispoolcovers.com/
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

17. Back To Top    #17

I agree about the auto cover. When we were first considering a pool, I said I didn't care what cover we got. I even said I would settle on a 'manual' driven cover and add the auto feature when we could more easily afford it. What a joke! I could not imagine myself opening and closing our cover 5-6 times a day manually! sometimes I need to cover the pool just for a few minutes while I go in to use the restroom. AND, just last week, I half uncovered it to get a water sample. in the time it took me to put the sample inside, the neighbor's 3 year old grandson ran over and got two steps into the pool. I had a minor heart attack. If you have kids, or your neighbors have kids, you simple MUST get a cover that is EASY to use. it only works if you use it. We purchased our from Aquamatic and installed it ourselves. Reasonably priced (compared to a pool and a life) and wonderful customer service.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you for the advise. Im definately better informed but also more confused lol. Salt no salt ozone no ozone etc I continue on my quest. Thanks again

19. Back To Top    #19

Well, don't be too frustrated if you're still confused on your pool design.....it's something you can only do once, and which you'll be arguing with yourself about for the life of the pool....It took me about 90 days to go through the design process, 30 days to get an idea of what general decisions I needed to make, another 30 days to get PB proposals and narrow down what I wanted to prioritize within my budget and what risks/long term issues I was willing to take on, and then a final 30 days or so to nail down full details with the winning PB. And, this was the 3rd time I went through the process....the first time - I just wasn't serious once I realized all the costs involved, the 2nd time - I just wasn't motivated enough to go to contract, and the third time.... I had a much better feel for what I was willing to budget and what the pool needed to do. And, it still was about a 90 day process before I was willing to sign on the dotted line with all the various vendors and a rough construction schedule (pool construction usually involves not only the pool, but the equipment, major changes to landscaping, trenching new underground pipes and cables around the house, and numerous automation/mgmt and heating choices)

One thing I'd note is that the more you know what you want, the more the pool builder can help....all the proposals we received initially were great, but if we had went with any of them before finalizing our requirements...it would have been a bad move.....there seems to be about a hundred tiny decisions that I had to think about throughout construction... it really helps to get a pool design 101 book from amazon/etc and read the entire contents twice...and then read quite a bit of the various threads in the various equipment forums here....quiz and go through multiple revisions with whichever PB you are most comfortable with - after enough time - it will start to make sense. Note that nearly all pool designs involve trade offs of features versus build costs versus operating costs versus ease of maintenance versus durability. I focused heavily on durability, ease of maintenance, and operating costs and thus ended up sacrificing quite a bit on features (no sauna or gas heating) and modestly on build cost - and I feel good about those decisions.

Don't let the PB's railroad you into making a quick decision - take your time until you're fully confident before signing.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

20. Back To Top    #20

Off to see what the PB has for me tomorrow. Thanks again all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast