Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painting solar panels....

1. Back To Top    #1

Painting solar panels....

Okay, my solar panels are about 7 years old and still going strong with no leaks. But..... this year they are just not raising the temp as much as usual. Flow is good, run them seperately off an intex 2500gpm pump. I think the problem is that they are no longer the dark black that they once were. I want to paint them but don't know what type of paint to buy. Bought the Fusion, but the wind won't quit blowing long enough to spray them. Is there something that can be rollled on that will work?

Thanks!!
    Karen
    Karen
    18' x 4' AG Vinyl liner
    Waterway 100lb sand filter with 1 1/2 hp pump
    Middle TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Painting solar panels....

If you are going to try to paint them, I would certainly do a test patch, for one thing not all black paints are "black" in the infrared part part of the spectrum, so might not absorb heat as well as they are now unpainted. I would also worry about any paint increasing plastisizer migration and therefore shortening the life of the panels.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Isaac. Need to do some more thinking. How long do the solar panels usually last?
    Karen
    18' x 4' AG Vinyl liner
    Middle TN

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know from experience, but I'd venture to guess from what I've read here that you're doing quite well at 7 yrs ..
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

What are the collectors made of?

We built our own using PVC, and painted it with flat black spray cans, and it worked great until the PVC basically melted from the heat, (didn't use the sch 40, and didn't run the pump during the heat of the day whlle they had water in them).
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

6. Back To Top    #6

not sure which brand, but just a 4 x 20 setup. Hubby could build it, but unfortunately right now he's working 11 hrs a day 6 days a week (on midnights) so I don't think building it ourself right now is worth it. Tomorrow I'm going to change out the intex filter for a new one. It's not dirty, but we've used the same one for a couple of years. Give it a couple of days and if no improvement, paint them with krylon. As old as they are, if they fail, I've gotten my money's worth. Here's a pic of the setup.

Karen
    18' x 4' AG Vinyl liner
    Middle TN

7. Back To Top    #7

Karen,

Sounds like a plan!
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by karenh
    not sure which brand, but just a 4 x 20 setup. Hubby could build it, but unfortunately right now he's working 11 hrs a day 6 days a week (on midnights) so I don't think building it ourself right now is worth it. Tomorrow I'm going to change out the intex filter for a new one. It's not dirty, but we've used the same one for a couple of years. Give it a couple of days and if no improvement, paint them with krylon. As old as they are, if they fail, I've gotten my money's worth. Here's a pic of the setup.
    You could get a significant improvement by hooking those two panels in parallel instead of in series like they are now. Also by having that open frame you are prone to more convective heat loss by having both sides open to air movement.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

K... New plan of action... would black plastic underneath help? Or would I need something thicker? A quick run to lowes for some fittings and I can switch them to parallel. Thanks everybody for the input, will let you know how it goes.
    Karen
    18' x 4' AG Vinyl liner
    Middle TN

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by karenh
    K... New plan of action... would black plastic underneath help? Or would I need something thicker? A quick run to lowes for some fittings and I can switch them to parallel. Thanks everybody for the input, will let you know how it goes.
    Black plastic will help but plywood covered with roofing felt would be better. Your biggest boost will come from running the panels in parallel. I have two panels like yours. Last year they were hooked up in series. This year they're in parallel and I see a marked improvement.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Your much better off doing PVC and putting aluminum behind the PVC over the wood. You will get heat gain from both sides basically. Don't use anything less than schedule 40 or your gonna burn it up. At least thats what my friend up north did.
    24,000 Rectangular Vinyl IG, Sand, 1.5 Hayward Pump