This site is awesome!

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
I came to this site in 2010 when my agp was installed. I started with pucks and finished that first season as a reader but not yet a believer. When we opened in spring 2011 I finally got the test kit and started using BBB since my cya was already at around 80 with less than a full season of pucks/shocking per the pool store. Since going with BBB last spring, I've never had to shock, my pool sparkles always and test numbers are right where they should be. Through water replacement slowly over this year and last year my cya is now at 50. This year we opened blue and pretty clear. I added some bleach and within a day we were crystal clear. I spend less than 5 min a day maintaining the pool.

I went into the pool store two weeks ago to buy a themometer ($6 the only money I spent at the pool store this year.) I could not believe the horrible advice they were giving. There were several people in line infront of me talking about how they are there every single day to have their water tested and have no idea what they were testing for or what the numbers meant. People were buying shock bags by the case. I just felt grateful for this site for giving me the information I needed to maintain the pool myself. We aren't huge DIY people but since we found TFP we are when it comes to the pool, I know we have saved a ton of money and headaches so THANK YOU!!!

b3575be3.jpg

9d4f9a35.jpg

f921ec62.jpg

Melissab,
I have been working on raising my CYA level and am currently at 35. I don't live far from your town, so I would like to ask you how much FC loss do you have during a typical sunny day here in S Jersey with your CYA level at 50? I have been loosing 3ppm of FC from morning till sunset.
This is only my 3rd week using the BBB method ...with great results, my pool looks as amazing as yours!

Welcome to tfp, degallina :wave:

3 ppm is a little high if you are around the recommended normal FC level for your cya level, so if you have a lot of sun, you may benefit from going to a 50 ppm cya level.

I too love this site. This is my first year owning a pool and thanks to the help on this site, I have sparkling clear water. I don't yet have a good test kit, as they are expensive in Canada and hard to come by, so I'm relying on some Taylor Test strips (which seem to be pretty decent actually) and a basic Chlorine/PH test kit. In regards to pool shops, I've learned that you have to be cautious. Luckily I have one close to home that's honest and who's water tests I know I can rely on. The tests more or less agree with what my test strips tell me.This is not the case with all shops, as I found out. I have another one near work whose water tests don't agree with either my strips or those of the other shop. Their numbers are always considerably lower. They always have a long list of chemicals that they push on me, even though I tell them that my water is clear. I have only bought chlorinating liquid and stabilizer at that shop, and will not be returning. I suspect many of their clients are there weekly buying chemicals. The honest shop is in a small city/community while the other is in a major metropolis, where all the snakes in the grass abide, but that is a different discussion, lol.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, degallina :wave:

3 ppm is a little high if you are around the recommended normal FC level for your cya level, so if you have a lot of sun, you may benefit from going to a 50 ppm cya level.

Thank you linen.
Ya, my AM FC level starts out in the 7-8ppm range, but by dark I'm at 2.5-3.5ppm if all 5 boys use the pool most of the day. I understand I've got to get my CYA level up higher, but was curious as to how much bleach I'll be using at that 50ppm CYA level.

degallina said:
Ya, my AM FC level starts out in the 7-8ppm range, but by dark I'm at 2.5-3.5ppm if all 5 boys use the pool most of the day. I understand I've got to get my CYA level up higher, but was curious as to how much bleach I'll be using at that 50ppm CYA level.
Probably less then you are using now. I would guess much of your loss is due to sun. Hopefully your boys are not using the pool as a bathroom...that also consumes a lot of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
degallina said:
Melissab,
I have been working on raising my CYA level and am currently at 35. I don't live far from your town, so I would like to ask you how much FC loss do you have during a typical sunny day here in S Jersey with your CYA level at 50? I have been loosing 3ppm of FC from morning till sunset.
This is only my 3rd week using the BBB method ...with great results, my pool looks as amazing as yours!

Hi :wave: I agree that it does sound like you are loosing more than I would think, I have only tested mine from one early evening and then the same time next day. I usually loose 1-2 ppm over night. I have two small boys and we are usually in the pool for a few hours a day, less so far this year as it has been a little cooler. Since you mentioned 5 boys I'm wondering if any of them are peeing in the pool? I do get full sun on our pool from about 10 a.m until sunset.

The boys do continually get out of the pool to pee, I don't think that is the problem. My problem is the sun. This pool is in the middle of a farm field, no shade. My CYA tested 40ppm this morning. I think I'll raise it another 10ppm and see if I get similar results as you. Appreciate your reply!

Sounds like rasing CYA may help then. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the compliments on my water, it was actually a really windy day when I took those pictures so I didn't think the pictures showed how clear the water really is, I can't stop admiring my own work! :blah: :blah:

On another note my sister in law just got a 15ft round pool and the pool store told her to throw in a bag of shock, algecide, clarifier and tub of stabilizer upon filling. Then to put some pucks in the skimmer and shock weekly. I want to help her but I think I'll just giver her the info to this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.