Increase PH before adding Muriatic Acid

Jul 1, 2011
Im going to jump in here with a question - since its related (I hope you do not mind). I need to lower my TA as well, and have been trying to increase PH (currently 7.2) through Aeration before adding Muric Acid to reduce the TA. Will this work? I have been aerating for the past 2 days and have had a very small change, if any, in PH. I think the color is in the 7.3 range now - but the PH test scale is not that finite.

Since my return jets are just holes in the wall (i.e. no eye fitting), I can not use the same method others have had success with. I have a spigot on my filter push-pull valve, so i hooked a hose to that and have a sprinkler pointed at the water. I saw other people doing similar things with limited success.

So is my slow PH increase due to not decreasing with muric acid prior to trying to increase (it seems that order of events does make a difference here), or do I need to simply find a better solution for creating aeration?

Thanks - and again, sorry to butt-in!
Moved to a new topic. Always ask questions in your own topic. JasonLion

Your pH should increase with aeration. The correct process for lowering TA is to knock down to 7.2 with acid, than aerate to raise pH to around 7.6, then repeat until you reach the desired TA. It is going to be hard to say whether your aeration method will work without seeing it, but it is pretty simple. Just introduce a bunch of air bubbles into the water, however you achieve that is up to you.

Can you post the rest of your test results? Also what are you using for chlorine. Remember that sources like trichlor are driving your pH down all the while they are in the pool.

Full test results:

FC 7.5, just coming down from my pool opening and shock (bleach) last week
CC 0.5
CYA 50
CH 260
TA 160
Temp 64....brrr

I was advised to reduce TA because I have some scaling/pink staining on the walls.

I do not have a great picture of my ad hoc aerator, but will see if I can post one if the is interest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.