Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Increase PH before adding Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Increase PH before adding Muriatic Acid

Im going to jump in here with a question - since its related (I hope you do not mind). I need to lower my TA as well, and have been trying to increase PH (currently 7.2) through Aeration before adding Muric Acid to reduce the TA. Will this work? I have been aerating for the past 2 days and have had a very small change, if any, in PH. I think the color is in the 7.3 range now - but the PH test scale is not that finite.

Since my return jets are just holes in the wall (i.e. no eye fitting), I can not use the same method others have had success with. I have a spigot on my filter push-pull valve, so i hooked a hose to that and have a sprinkler pointed at the water. I saw other people doing similar things with limited success.

So is my slow PH increase due to not decreasing with muric acid prior to trying to increase (it seems that order of events does make a difference here), or do I need to simply find a better solution for creating aeration?

Thanks - and again, sorry to butt-in!
    Moved to a new topic. Always ask questions in your own topic. JasonLion
    20K IG White Plaster - Hayward 1.5 HP Pump - Anthony DE Filter - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Increase PH before adding Muriatic Acid

Normally yes. However, what is your TA right now?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

oh man, now I have to follow this thread too! I am a real dummy when it comes to the whole TA/pH thing. I wait with baited breath.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

Your pH should increase with aeration. The correct process for lowering TA is to knock down to 7.2 with acid, than aerate to raise pH to around 7.6, then repeat until you reach the desired TA. It is going to be hard to say whether your aeration method will work without seeing it, but it is pretty simple. Just introduce a bunch of air bubbles into the water, however you achieve that is up to you.

Can you post the rest of your test results? Also what are you using for chlorine. Remember that sources like trichlor are driving your pH down all the while they are in the pool.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

5. Back To Top    #5

Most people have to lower TA because their pH rises too fast. Why are you trying to lower your TA if your pH is barely rising even with aeration?
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Most people have to lower TA because their pH rises too fast. Why are you trying to lower your TA if your pH is barely rising even with aeration?
    +1
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Full test results:

FC 7.5, just coming down from my pool opening and shock (bleach) last week
    CC 0.5
    CYA 50
    CH 260
    TA 160
    Temp 64....brrr

I was advised to reduce TA because I have some scaling/pink staining on the walls.

I do not have a great picture of my ad hoc aerator, but will see if I can post one if the is interest.
    20K IG White Plaster - Hayward 1.5 HP Pump - Anthony DE Filter - TF100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

pH and CH play a much larger role in scaling than TA. Your CH seems fine now, so a high pH may have been the problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!