costco Intex pool package

Jun 12, 2012
Hi,
I'm new here. I'm a mom of two and we wanted to get a pool this year. I live in Orlando Fl. so it would be up all year. I saw at Costco for $600, an Intex ultra frame pool (16 x 48 I think) with a saltwater system. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. A few years ago we had the intex easy set pool with inflatable ring - only lasted 1 year, the water was never crystal clear, was green a lot, at times almost clear. My budget is $600 - my question is, will this package keep the water clear? Or should I go for the Walmart deal for $349 for an 14 x 48 or $369 for 16 x 48 - both with a $50 ecard bonus, and use the extra money to upgrade the pump?
I just want my kids to be able to actually use the pool daily and not wait around for mommy to try and clear up the water. And in case you haven't already guessed, I know nothing about pools.
Thank you for any information you can provide :)

:wave: Welcome :wave:

It is not the package that keeps the water clear ... it is YOU who keeps the water clear by accurately measuring your chemical levels and then maintaining those levels in the appropriate ranges. {Edit: a saltwater system can make this a little easier as it adds the chlorine for you, but you still have to make sure it is enough chlorine and check the other levels}

There is a ton of info in Pool School (button at the upper right of the page) ... so start reading and ask questions when they come up.

One thing you MUST get is a good test kit so you can ensure the water stays clear. See the link in my signature for the kits we recommend ... the FAS-DPD chlorine test is the key and it is unlikely you will find it locally.

What type of filter comes with the Costco package? If it's the cartridge filter 2500 GPH with the Krystal clear saltwater chlorinator don't get it, the wallmart deal is better. I searched high and low last year, Walmart was the best deal.

What filter does the walmart pool have? If its a cartridge filter Craigslist it. I've done 2 that way and both sold within a day at $40. Now your pool with GC is $260. Get the intex sand filter 1600 or 2650 GPH with Krystal clear saltwater chlorinator. I've seen the 1600 for about $150 and I have a new in box krystal clear I'd sell for $75 + shipping. Retail for $200.

This filter combo is your best bet for a clear safe pool with minimum maintance. Intex cartridge filters don't filter much at all, they only circulate the water.

Target.com with free shipping, Intex 16' Ultra for $399 or the Intex 18' ultra for $499. This gets you well within your budget with the larger 18' pool that has the 1.5" hose connections and larger 1500 gph pump/filter allowing later plug and play upgrade to the 2650 gph sand filter or the 2500 gph cartridge pump/filter. Win for you!

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...ingFacet=0&customPrice=false&productsCount=84

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That lifetime waranty would indead be interesting. How would they honor a product for life that has a average 4 year lifespan. Do you know anybody that has returned a 2 year old intex to costco. I love them and shop allot with them due to that policy but that might be a bit of a stretch to honor. If they do I will gladly pay $600, that would be $125 each for 5 pools over a 20 year period. Save your reciept!!!

That's why Costco is the best place for limited life products. Vacuumes? Air mattresses? Irobot roomba should never be bought anywhere else. I've returned and re-bought 3 times so far...

If it's not excluded in policy, go for it:

Shop Confidently

Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

Sent from my 4G LTE Droid using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also true for Costco.com purchases. Return either on-line or to warehouse for full refund, including shipping. I guarantee any appliance purchase in my future will be from Costco ;)

Sent from my 4G LTE Droid using Tapatalk 2

Thier waranty isn't valid for all products. I have a friend that tried to return a two year old hot tub, they would not take it back without documented service repair calls. The average life on a intex pool is 4 years, I highly doubt the would take a 3 or even 2 year old pool back. That waranty is meant to protect against manufacture defect. Some people took advantage of thier liberal return policy. I remember when you could return a 1 or 2 year old TV because you didn't "like" it. They put a stop to that as people would just upgrade TV's for free every two years. They do have great customer service but if you buy an intex pool from costco it won't last a life time.

Thier deals aren't always the best either. My local Costco was selling the rectangular pool package for $750 last year. It was made for Costco to thier price point. It was 12x20 feet with a cartridge filter. There was one at wallmart, the standard 12x24 with sand filter and krystal clear saltwater chlorinator for $900 delivered to your door. After the upgrade in filtration and pool size wallmart was a better deal.

That's the first person I've ever heard had problems returning something that wasn't on the excluded list. Been a member since the PriceCostco days... The TV return policy was fantastic. Still have one that was purchased before the warranty change, so it's grandfathered in for lifetime warranty. Yes, I know that for a fact, because I recently returned another 1 that was purchased before the change and got a full refund. As of today, these are the only products that are excluded from lifetime warranty:

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones

Granted, I would have a hard time returning an electric toothbrush that was 7 years old, but it can be done. Employees take the most advantage of the policy ;-)

I have issues right now with what people are saying. Spend 900 bucks on a pool that will not last long and get a garbage pump along with it. There are deals right now that you can get a pool that will go 25 plus years with a better filter for another 100 bucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.