Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand filter and fine dirt

1. Back To Top    #1

sand filter and fine dirt

Pool water looks clear and blue until I start raking, vacuuming and brushing the plant debris and fine dirt off the bottom and sides of the pool. Did the overnight FC drop test yesterday and FC dropped from 6.0 to 5.5 so I don't think it's algae. Using liquid chlorine and had been using some tabs b/c we just resurfaced last year and had fresh low-CYA water but will be de-pucking now that CYA is around 40
    Numbers from this a.m.:
    FC 5.5
    pH 7.6
    TA 80
    CH 340
    CYA between 40 and 50

We have a Hayward 244S sand filter. Sand was changed about 3 years ago. Any tips on getting the dirt out? I saw a few other posts that mention using the garden hose to clear up channeling and stuff - could someone pls. describe that process in a bit more detail? Thanks!
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sand filter and fine dirt

Take the top of filter off. Gently move a hose down and around in the sand. This will break up any clumps and all the gunk will float up out of the top of the filter. Do this until the water seems mostly clean. Put the top back on.

Might be worth doing this "deep clean" every year or so.

If you are struggling to remove fine particles from the water, you could add a little pool DE through the skimmer into the filter to help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks!
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Even better than DE would be a handfull of Fiber Clear added through the skimmer. I switched me DE filter over to Fiber Clear and the results are amazingly clear sparkling water.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit