Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine

Ok guys,

I've got a question... I've read through pool school and a few other posts and it looks like most of you guys reccommend a liquid chlorine. I just bought my house and have ran through the few remaining chlorine pucks that the previous home owner left me. So, it's time to get Chlorine. I live in the midwest and was wondering the best brand/place to get it. I could go back to my pool store and get a bucket of pucks again to be safe but it looks like you're all pointing me towards the liquid chlorine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Approx: 15,000 gallons. I think it's a 16'X32' rectangular pool and the depth is 3'-5'.
    Sand Filter
    In-ground
    Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine

Here's some reading: pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

When you get more time check out pool school: pool-school/

We're here to help.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

You can get 10% or 12% liquid chlorine at the pool stores or hardware stores. Or just get 6% bleach at and grocery store. Many people use the Walmart brand.

Just have to check prices for the best deal.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Look for the best price on bleach with no additives, the store needs to have good turnaround because old bleach gets weak. Walmart is usually one of the cheapest for the GV brand. Now to the possible real issue, what are your numbers especially CYA? Do you have a good test kit like the TF100 listed on this site. Hearing the previous owner left pucks leads to the concern of high CYA level which will make it tough to maintain enough chlorine to do the job. These CYA concerns are one of the top reasons for using liquid chlorine and the only way to drop CYA is to replace some water. BTW, the pool school link on the top right is a must read.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    Look for the best price on bleach with no additives, the store needs to have good turnaround because old bleach gets weak. Walmart is usually one of the cheapest for the GV brand. Now to the possible real issue, what are your numbers especially CYA? Do you have a good test kit like the TF100 listed on this site. Hearing the previous owner left pucks leads to the concern of high CYA level which will make it tough to maintain enough chlorine to do the job. These CYA concerns are one of the top reasons for using liquid chlorine and the only way to drop CYA is to replace some water. BTW, the pool school link on the top right is a must read.
    What he said!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

lowerk3:

If you belong to a warehouse club (Sams, Costco, BJ's, etc.), you can find good deals on bleach. I get mine at Sams or Costco - sold in a package of 3 182 oz jugs (546 oz total) of Clorox 6% for about $8.50. The product turnover is high, so you are assured of getting a fresh product. Make sure you get bleach without additives such as fragrances or thickeners. Plain bleach is what you want.

Some pool stores sell higher concentrations of liquid bleach, so that may be an option for you as well (not an option for us here in DFW area for some reason).

One advantage of the 6% concentration over higher concentrations is that it has a longer shelf life. Still, I try to use mine up within a month - I date my packages.

Also echo MikeInNH's concerns regarding potentially high CYA due to previous owner's use of pucks. That's what happened to me. After testing, I had to do a partial drain & refill.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.