230V Amps?

Apr 15, 2012
South Dakota
I am looking at upgrading my pool pump that requires at 230V power line. If I have an electrician install a 230V line with 16Amps is that adequate for any 230 Volt pump I select? Nothing would require more Amps or if one required less would a 16Amp line be okay?

Thank you

16 amps is really small for a pool service (#14 Cable). If you are putting in a pool service panel there really isn't any reason not to put in a 30 or 40 amp 230v box.

If you are just using a line out of your existing house breaker box - you may not need to redo the cable at all. If that is the case - what sized breaker is the pump on now?

Even the largest (3HP) pumps run at less than 15 amps @ 230V. So a 15 amp breaker for just the pump would be fine.

BUT, do you have a separate subpanel at your pad? If not, and if you are running wire anyway, it could be worth it in the future to run a 30A or so service to a new subpanel and then feed the pump off the subpanel. Then you have the power available there for anything you may want to add in the future (landscaping lights, SWG, heater, etc).

jblizzle said:
If not, and if you are running wire anyway, it could be worth it in the future to run a 30A or so service to a new subpanel and then feed the pump off the subpanel.

Yes. I always would advise if you have to run a new line anyway to run at least 30 amps out to a subpanel by the pool. Too many upsides to doing that. The other thing i would advocate is running a pump off a 20 amp line. 15 wopuld work ok, probably, but i would feel better uisng a 20. Thats just me.

bk406 said:
The other thing i would advocate is running a pump off a 20 amp line. 15 wopuld work ok, probably, but i would feel better uisng a 20. Thats just me.

Depends on the pump size really ... a 1HP pump will only be pulling ~8amps at most.

My pad has a subpanel only fed by a 20amp service. Because of this, when I just replaced my pump I HAD to get a 230V pump as the 12AWG wire run to the subpanel was too small for the amps pulled by a 120V pump. My 1HP Superflo is fed by 230V 15 amps off the subpanel ... but it only pulls ~6 amps. My pool light and heater also run off the sub panel without issue.

bk406 said:
Like I said, that's just me. People can do as they see fit :)

Yup.

Believe me my 20A subpanel (which is round fuses AND was fed by 2 separate 120V breakers in the main panel ... previous owners were geniuses :hammer: ) was not my doing. I eventually plan to add a Hayward Pro Logic subpanel and feed it with at least a new 50A circuit so that I can add more lighting and possibly a hot tub out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a box with one breaker in the garage that powers the pump and the motor for the cover. Not sure what size the breaker is.

Updating the electrical panel in the house and I am going to have run a new line for a new pump. I don't plan on adding a heater or really much else to the pool area.

So run a 230V 30Amp to a new box in the garage then run a 20 amp cable off that to the new pump?

Well, I guess our assumption was that the equipment pad was not by the house (garage) main panel. If all your equipment is near the main panel, there is really not much point to adding a separate subpanel box for the pool equipment.

You just need the pump to be fed by a 15A 230V breaker at a minimum (really more than enough for your small pump). Whether that separate line comes from the main house panel or a subpanel does not really matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.