Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 230V Amps?

1. Back To Top    #1

230V Amps?

I am looking at upgrading my pool pump that requires at 230V power line. If I have an electrician install a 230V line with 16Amps is that adequate for any 230 Volt pump I select? Nothing would require more Amps or if one required less would a 16Amp line be okay?

Thank you
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 230V Amps?

16 amps is really small for a pool service (#14 Cable). If you are putting in a pool service panel there really isn't any reason not to put in a 30 or 40 amp 230v box.

If you are just using a line out of your existing house breaker box - you may not need to redo the cable at all. If that is the case - what sized breaker is the pump on now?
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Current line is 115 Volts.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

If the line is just for the pump, then that is sufficient.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes but what is the amperage of the current breaker? They come in 15, 20, 30 etc. A good electrician will size it all properly for your new pump. You'll probably need new wire, hopefully it's not a long run.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

6. Back To Top    #6

Even the largest (3HP) pumps run at less than 15 amps @ 230V. So a 15 amp breaker for just the pump would be fine.

BUT, do you have a separate subpanel at your pad? If not, and if you are running wire anyway, it could be worth it in the future to run a 30A or so service to a new subpanel and then feed the pump off the subpanel. Then you have the power available there for anything you may want to add in the future (landscaping lights, SWG, heater, etc).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle

If not, and if you are running wire anyway, it could be worth it in the future to run a 30A or so service to a new subpanel and then feed the pump off the subpanel.
    Yes. I always would advise if you have to run a new line anyway to run at least 30 amps out to a subpanel by the pool. Too many upsides to doing that. The other thing i would advocate is running a pump off a 20 amp line. 15 wopuld work ok, probably, but i would feel better uisng a 20. Thats just me.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    The other thing i would advocate is running a pump off a 20 amp line. 15 wopuld work ok, probably, but i would feel better uisng a 20. Thats just me.
    Depends on the pump size really ... a 1HP pump will only be pulling ~8amps at most.

My pad has a subpanel only fed by a 20amp service. Because of this, when I just replaced my pump I HAD to get a 230V pump as the 12AWG wire run to the subpanel was too small for the amps pulled by a 120V pump. My 1HP Superflo is fed by 230V 15 amps off the subpanel ... but it only pulls ~6 amps. My pool light and heater also run off the sub panel without issue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Like I said, that's just me. People can do as they see fit
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Like I said, that's just me. People can do as they see fit
    Yup.

Believe me my 20A subpanel (which is round fuses AND was fed by 2 separate 120V breakers in the main panel ... previous owners were geniuses ) was not my doing. I eventually plan to add a Hayward Pro Logic subpanel and feed it with at least a new 50A circuit so that I can add more lighting and possibly a hot tub out there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

There is a box with one breaker in the garage that powers the pump and the motor for the cover. Not sure what size the breaker is.

Updating the electrical panel in the house and I am going to have run a new line for a new pump. I don't plan on adding a heater or really much else to the pool area.

So run a 230V 30Amp to a new box in the garage then run a 20 amp cable off that to the new pump?
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, I guess our assumption was that the equipment pad was not by the house (garage) main panel. If all your equipment is near the main panel, there is really not much point to adding a separate subpanel box for the pool equipment.

You just need the pump to be fed by a 15A 230V breaker at a minimum (really more than enough for your small pump). Whether that separate line comes from the main house panel or a subpanel does not really matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator