Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool, but same as what I had...

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool, but same as what I had...

I didn't find this website until my pool was in trouble 3 years ago. We got rid of the old and got a new exact same pool, only this time I want to start off correct. I just got it filled and then read your instructions on what to do, my question is, I bought the HTH Shock and Swim, is this the right thing to use for the first 4 days?

My fill water: PH 8.2
    CYA 0
    CH 0

Thanks again!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pool, but same as what I had...

Why do you need to use anything special for the first 4 days?

That HTH is cal-hypo. So it is going to add FC and CH. I am guessing you were thinking of using dichlor to raise the CYA correct? If so, that HTH is not the correct stuff.

It is less complicated if you just stick to adding the stabilizer and chlorine separately.
    You do need to get your pH down in the mid-7s as well.

What test kit are you using? Seems very abbreviated unless you just did not test everything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I read on the start up page for temp. pool that you should use diclor - shock treatment that comes in small packs, saw the Shock and Swim at Wal-Mart thinking it was the same thing. I bought the wrong stuff I guess, I just went by the name and not ingredients...duh But it does say to use the Dichlor for the first 4 days. I have the tftestkit, I didn't check all the other stuff yet. Are you saying to skip that and go straight to Clorox and stabilizer? That's what I'd rather do, but I want to start of on the right foot with this project! Thanks!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

You can used the bagged stuff to start if you get the right one .

It's easier if you add the needed chemicals on their own in most cases so you know just how much of everything you have put in your pool.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Good to hear you have a good kit.

You can definitely skip the dichlor and just use bleach and stabilizer ... they add the same things to the pool, but probably easier to keep track of exactly how much CYA you are adding if you do it separately.

If you use the poolcalculator, you can figure out how much CYA (or dichlor) you can use to achieve your desired levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I do know how to use the Pool Calc....it's a lifesaver! Love this place! Thank you both....wish me luck!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG