What CH Level Should I Target?

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
I ran a test using the TF100 kit and found that my CH level is in the range of 30 - 40 PPM. The Water Balance for SWGs article in Pool School recommends a CH level of 50 - 300 PPM for vinyl pools. The Owners manual for my Jandy AquaPure SWG recommends a CH level of 175 - 400 PPM. Should I target 200 PPM? How important is the CH level in a vinly pool?

I have zero CH in my pool and seems to be happy. The liner is still pliable and hasn't lost it's color. The GK's don't complain and that's good enough for me. There have been reports in the past about some equipment (heater) warranty statements requiring a certain level to maintain warranty but other than for that it's not an issue at all.

Jason,

Thanks for the response. You just saved me $30 - $40 in CH increaser from the pool store! I went to several hardware and big box stores looking for 100% calcium chloride deicer and found that it's almost impossible to get during this time of the year. Next winter I will buy a bag should I need to increase the CH level.

JasonLion said:
No. Low calcium does not cause corrosion of anything other than plaster/pebble/tile surfaces (and to a lesser extent fiberglass). Nothing else is affected by low CH levels.

Well that relieves me to read! I have a fiberglass pool and while my CH is a bit low I hadn't bothered to raise it yet. Now I think I shan't even worry.... :cool:

Bama Rambler said:
Low or no CH only applies to vinyl liner pools. Fiberglass pools are a completely different animal. You need CH of about 250 in a fiberglass pool.

Well good thing I was mixed up- its my hot tub that is low on CH, my fiberglass pool is fine! :oops: I shouldn't rely on memory when posting numbers. I actually do have them all recorded on separate testing logs (one for the hot tub, one for the pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.