Get a "cold" display but water is 79

Jun 12, 2012
Can someone help? My aqua rite stops generating (I get the flashing light) and I get the message "cold" on the display although my water is not cold. I at first was wondering if the temperature sensor could be bad but when I checked the diagnostics it said the pool temp is 79. This makes me think that the sensor is working if it can tell me the correct temperature. My question is what else could it be? This wouldn't indicate a bad cell, would it? I switched it to super chlorinate to override the error message and it starts to generate but I would rather fix it than do this. Any suggestions? It is the T-cell 15 and it is the beginning of the fourth season of use. Thanks!!

There is more than one temperature sensor. The automation system has one, and the SWG has another, and if you have solar it will have a third. It sounds like the temperature sensor in the SWG is malfunctioning. The first thing to check is to make sure the connection between the SWG cell and the main unit is solidly connected and not lose.

OK...it seemed like it had a good connection but I unplugged it and plugged it in again just to make sure. So far it is generating on auto and the salt reading is coming up instead of "cold". I will check it again in an hour or so to make sure it is still generating. Previously, when I would flip the switch off and then onto auto again, it would seem to be generating correctly but stop after a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...could it have been that easy? lol

I believe it!

Those temperature sensors are very similar to the ones we use in cars. They run on very low voltage and extremely low current, so it doesn't take much oxidation or looseness to throw them off. "Pin Fit" is one of the tests we always have to run on warranty complaints with electrical stuff, there's even a special tool for it. We plug it in to each terminal and see if it will hang there. If it doesn't, not enough tension. Sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting cleans the contacts, which sounds like what happened to you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.