Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Algae or Just Pollen and or Dirt?

Re: Algae or Just Pollen and or Dirt?

I am going through the same issue. I have been fighting this battle for 3 years now. Everyday I vac the pool and by the next morning I have the spots in the depressions of the liner. They look greenish in color. They vac easily and will dissipate if I brush them. I keep my levels right where they should be. I have done the overnight chlorine test and that too is fine. I added sand to my filter this year to bring up to the proper level as all the backwashing last year I lost a bunch. I was hoping this would help but it has not. I am at a loss as to what this stuff forming on the bottom of the pool could be. This is very frustrating as all my test and levels are indicating there is no algae in the pool but these spots show up every morning.
    Thanks,
    Brian

18' round x 52" vinyl AGP holding aprox. 7633 gallons of crystal clear sparkling water, most of the time. Hayward 180 sand filter, 1 hp pump and 2-2x20 Fafco panels is parallel.

Well, if my guess is correct, and my situation is the same as yours, then the problem is inside the filter. I am not sure what your innards look like on your filter, but I think mine must have a small crack in the tube/pipe that leads from the bottom laterals up to the top of the filter where it then exits to the pool return.

I just tried putting 5 cups of DE on top of my sand, thinking that the sand was not trapping the "fine silt" and my only conclusion is the pipe. My pool is clean during the day until I turn on the filter.

On a plus note, my water is very clear now that I put that DE in trapping the small micron stuff!!!!
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    11,000 Gallons~
    .75 HP Pump
    Sand Filter

I seem to be having the same problem for the past 2 weeks. The greenish tinge puffs up like a cloud even when I just plonk the brush in the water,i.e., it brushes off fairly easily. Between my husband & me, we have been testing the water everyday now, brushing 1-2x/day, tiger shark running 4-8hrs/day, pump running 12 hrs. My numbers have been good (2-week range): FC 3-6, CC=0-0.5, CYA 30, TA 80. Even w/ shocking 2x (passed all criteria), the "dust cloud" just comes back. Should I just shock again, raising it to mustard shock level this time?
    Husband & Wife team from Houston, TX
    18k, IG pool, w/ pebblesheen
    Hayward Ecostar 1hp variable speed pump (for pool)
    Hayward Super II pump 2hp (for sheer descents)
    Another (?) pump for swim jet
    UltraPure Ozonator
    Swimclear Cartridge filter
    ProLogic Control

If you passed the OCLT, it's probably just dust.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Yup, passed the OCLT 2x.
    And surprisingly, when we had rain 2days in a row, the pool water got crystal clear. Is that another indication that this could just be dust?
    I'm at my wits end!
    Husband & Wife team from Houston, TX
    18k, IG pool, w/ pebblesheen
    Hayward Ecostar 1hp variable speed pump (for pool)
    Hayward Super II pump 2hp (for sheer descents)
    Another (?) pump for swim jet
    UltraPure Ozonator
    Swimclear Cartridge filter
    ProLogic Control

I am battling this as well, but have made significant gains this week. I have placed 2 skimmer socks in my skimmer (not sure how inground systems work, so this may or may not be possible for you). I rinse them several times per day as they are really trapping the gunk. I also throw a pair of pantyhose in on top of those two skimmer socks when I vacuum for an extra measure. Last week I had this silt spread out over the entire pool...enough that every pass with the vacuum left a visible 'clean' path. Each day has been getting better, the water is now clear and sparkling. Today when I went out, there are just a few little random spots.

My problem is stemming from a filter issue that is allowing dirty water back into the pool during vacuuming... and while I haven't solved that issue, attacking the problem from the other side of my filter (at the skimmer) has proved to be working for me. I have a sparkling pool... and that is what I wanted. This approach may work for you too.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

Quote Originally Posted by dattia
    I am battling this as well, but have made significant gains this week. I have placed 2 skimmer socks in my skimmer (not sure how inground systems work, so this may or may not be possible for you). I rinse them several times per day as they are really trapping the gunk. I also throw a pair of pantyhose in on top of those two skimmer socks when I vacuum for an extra measure. Last week I had this silt spread out over the entire pool...enough that every pass with the vacuum left a visible 'clean' path. Each day has been getting better, the water is now clear and sparkling. Today when I went out, there are just a few little random spots.

My problem is stemming from a filter issue that is allowing dirty water back into the pool during vacuuming... and while I haven't solved that issue, attacking the problem from the other side of my filter (at the skimmer) has proved to be working for me. I have a sparkling pool... and that is what I wanted. This approach may work for you too.
    I've used the skimmer socks during opening, but will begin following your tip here dattia, to see if that helps. Thanks for suggesting it!
    22 ft octagon, inground, 4 ft ave depth - figured @ 11,400 gallons, well water
    Steel walls with sand bottom and vinyl liner : under full sun
    Harmsco Betterfilter w/14 paper cartridges
    1 hp Hayward motor

Baqua to Chlorine in 2010.

~Wisconsin~

I am having a similar issue as the person in Okla. I am in northeastern Okla. What is DE? Is this similar to sand only coarse?
    Dave
    Santa Clarita, California
    1) 22000 gallons
    2) Jandy cartridge filter
    3) IG (in ground), 6 years old
    4) pebble tec

I think I got it. Media that goes in a DE filter system
    Dave
    Santa Clarita, California
    1) 22000 gallons
    2) Jandy cartridge filter
    3) IG (in ground), 6 years old
    4) pebble tec

Yep, you got it. It's Diatomaceous Earth.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.