Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Motor 'Frozen'

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Motor 'Frozen'

This morning I shut off the motor to change the valve to the backwash position. When I turned the motor back on, all I got was a humming noise. I've tried it with the valve in all positions.

The motor felt hot to the touch, by the way.

I let it cool down for about 90 minutes and tried it again, but I still get the humming noise and it's still 'frozen'.

What should I do next?
    21,100 gallons - Hayward S-180 Sand filter - IG Vinyl - 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump - Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve that says rated for 75 gpm on it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Motor 'Frozen'

A new capacitor may be in your future. It's a cylindrical black thing under the rear cap on the motor. The biggest thing under there.

First check that the impeller isn't jammed. Shut the power off and see if you can turn the impeller with your fingers through the pump basket.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

at the back of the motor take off the cover and see if the shaft will turn. If it does it may be the start capacitor.
    Here's video that may help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEIv5ClLqXg

Hope it helps. It may be a $20 fix.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys - the shaft does indeed turn.

I'm a little nervous about touching the capacitor after reading that they can explode and/or hold a charge. I'll proceed carefully. The videos helped.
    21,100 gallons - Hayward S-180 Sand filter - IG Vinyl - 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump - Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve that says rated for 75 gpm on it.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the cap is bad, it won't hold a charge, but short it out to be sure. If you have a multimeter you can test it once you have it unhooked and discharged, but they fail so often anymore it's probably worth getting a new one anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay - I've removed it! Now I just need to find someone nearby who sells these things........

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Athlon646464
    Okay - I've removed it! Now I just need to find someone nearby who sells these things........
    A pool store would be the first shot. Motor repair place next.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been told by a local guy that I can use one with a higher rating than mine, which is 124-149 MFD. He says I should be fine at about 160-190 (I forget the exact numbers he gave me over the phone), as long as it is the same physical size.

And you say?

9. Back To Top    #9

He's probably correct. Going a little over isn't going to hurt anything.

Make sure the voltage rating is equal or higher than the original too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all for getting back to me so quickly here this morning! I'm off to go buy it ($10).

I'll let you know when it's installed and working.

11. Back To Top    #11

New capacitor didn't help. It's making exactly the same humming sound as this morning.

12. Back To Top    #12

Does the motor have a set of contacts at the back end?
    They could be corroded. If they're there, take an emory board and file them a little. Also make sure the mechanism isn't stuck.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Everything looked clean when I took it apart. Earlier today I stuck my finger in the hole in the pump basket and could turn the impeller.

I can post pictures if that would help.

14. Back To Top    #14

Post a pic of the back of the motor with the cover removed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Here you are........

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks pretty clean. See those 4 big bolts that hold the motor and the first black flange to the pump basket body? You can undo those and remove the business end of the pump where you can inspect it and see if it will run (just a quick on and off test) when pulled out of the basket end. If it still buzzes and doesn't run, you have a motor problem.

17. Back To Top    #17

See those two copper strips that meet at the center of the motor? Take an emory board and clean the contacts between them a little. See if that helps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

It started to rain here and my day job just got crazy busy. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Thank you for all of your help.

19. Back To Top    #19

Got it going!

I braved the rain and went out and took it apart. I did what Mainecoons & Bama Rambler suggested and put it back. Walaa!! It came back to life!!

Thank you all again for your help! I learned a lot here......

20. Back To Top    #20

Glad you got it fixed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator