Jandy Aquapure 1400 stuck on "cell reversing"

hillyjd

Sep 25, 2009
Tucson AZ
Have had a Jandy Aquapure 1400 for about 4 years. Love the thing. Went out to the pool last weekend and noticed cloudy water. Checked chlorine level - ZERO. No error codes on Aquapure control panel, but when I go back in the house, I notice a "check Aquapure" on my Jandy AquaLink control box. Go back out to the Aquapure control box and notice the "cell reversing" light is on. Every time I check over the next few days, I have the same thing. No error code on Aquapure, "cell reversing" light on, and "check Aquapure" on my Aqualink. I even rebooted the whole system - no change. Only other thing I can add is that I replaced the Aquapure sensor about two years ago, and the salinity has always read low (when compared to the salt drop kit test I have). About two weeks ago, it started reading below 2000 with test kit showing salinity at 3400. I cleaned the sensor (like I have numerous times) and no change, so I recalibrated the salinity reading to match the test kit at 3400. The problems with being stuck on cell reversing and no chlorine started a few days later. Any thoughts?

You're saying the cell is failing, but it's the sensor (which is not part of the cell on an Aquapure) that was reading low salt. If the cell is failing, would not the control box indicate some sort of failure? Cell was working great two weeks ago - no problems whatsoever. One other thing I forgot to mention - the house experienced several short duration power losses during that same two week period. None of them lasted more than a minute. One lasted about a half second. Started having this problem shortly after that, which is why I rebooted the whole system (Aquapure and Aqualink) this morning.

I have the Aquapure troubleshooting manual and it lists a bunch of voltages on the controller card I can get readings on. I'll try that next and see if anything pops up. I'm thinking it's probably the controller, but it still could be the cell or the sensor. I wish I could figure out why the AquaLink sees a fault on the Aquapure system, but the Aquapure doesn't.

Mystery solved. Noticed the "no flow" indicator on the control box. It had been showing "wait" most of the time. Removed the sensor and cleaned it for about ten minutes. Had rust on one of the sensor and the seal around it looked slightly deformed. Reinstalled and now works ok, but ordered new sensor - don't think this one will last too long.

hillyjd said:
Mystery solved. Noticed the "no flow" indicator on the control box. It had been showing "wait" most of the time. Removed the sensor and cleaned it for about ten minutes. Had rust on one of the sensor and the seal around it looked slightly deformed. Reinstalled and now works ok, but ordered new sensor - don't think this one will last too long.
Good. I was going to tell you that if it had rust on it, its done. Make sure your new sensor epoxy is black and has the little board that goes inline of the ribbon cable. If it still stays in reversing, the relay on the back board is probably stuck. and you'll have to replace.

Everything's working normally now (at least for the last 48 hours). Place I ordered the new sensor from said they could not control what color seal I would get (black or white). Part numbers are the same. Hopefully I'll get what you recommend.

I thought SWG was the official abbreviation for Salt Water Chlorine Generators. At least that's what TFP has as their forum title. Changed my profile to make it clearer.

hillyjd said:
said they could not control what color seal I would get (black or white).
Then tell them you can't accept OLD stock, and you will go to another guy. You are wasting your money if you get stuck with a white one. It will (probably) fail.

SWG= Salt Water Generator. What do you need that for? there is already enough salt in the pool.

SWCG= Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Thats quite a mouthful.

I just say "Chlorine generator".

Were you ever right. New sensor arrived - white epoxy. Even though my old rusted one was working, I installed the new one and it worked fine for two weeks and then totally failed last weekend. Put my old one back in and it's still working (also white epoxy). Seller says he still won't guarantee a black one but he will give me a full refund, so I'm now in search of a new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My new black sensor failed after 2 months of use. Right now I don't trust any sensor that Jandy is putting out. They seem to have nothing but problems since they switched to the three port cell.

Maybe this is my problem, except I find it hard to believe with a brand new pool. I've had the "No Flow" on for a week (well, I was traveling on business and I think it was that way all week - can't get anyone at home to monitor the pool). I just cleaned the filter, pulled the AquaPure off and cleaned it as well, cleaned the sensor, and still getting "No Flow". Algae is starting to bloom.

Thought I would pass along a few things I learned when I got the new sensor with the black epoxy and the small circuit card on the connector. First thing I learned is that if you have an Aquapure system with a front panel circuit board called an AKC13 board (which I did), you will need an adaptor cable. The connector on the end of the sensor circuit board cannot fit onto the connector on the AKC13 board. Adaptor cable is $10, but that cost me another week waiting for it. Another thing I learned is that the circuit card on the end of the sensor cable is too large to fit through the wiring access hole on the bottom of the control box. I solved this problem by grinding out a small portion of the hole so the card would fit through and then I cut out a 1/4" section of the strain relief fitting and nut so that I could fit the cables through the access hole and put the strain relief fitting on after all wires were through. Worked fine. Last thing I learned is that I neededto replace the PVC tee fitting that the sensor goes into. If you search for the Aquapure part number (AZ009) you can get one for $30-$50 online plus shipping. If you search for a 2x2x1.5 SxSxFIP tee fitting (slip x slip x female), you can find one for $2.15. Ah, the joys of pool ownership.

I have a new Jandy Aquapure 3port cell, a new cable, new flow sensor. I continue to see "cell reversing " light and continue to add chlorine. All is ok but why does the cell not produce chlorine?? This is a new $510 cell!!!

Hello Gary and welcome to TFP! :wave: This thread was a bit "dated", but your post is relevant so it stayed with the same thread. If you don't get a reply in a day or so, feel free to reply back and :bump: this thread again for more activity. Nice to have you with us.

No error code and flow sensor does not have an A or B program.
Does the three prong cable orientation make a difference? I unplugged it yesterday and turned it 180 degrees and no lights at all and when I turned it back, the "cell reversing" light came back on. I have yet to see the "cell on" light.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.