Topping Off?

G

Just curious as to how often people have to top off their pool water? Right now it seems I am having to top off once or twice a week with the weather being cooler in the evenings and no cover at this point and also have kids swimming everyday.

Right now i won't need to top it off for a few weeks but in a few weeks when it stops raining, I'll probably have to add water about once a week.

If you're concerned about a leak, you can run a bucket test to make sure it's just evaporation you're seeing.

Me and my husband were just talking about doing that tonight. It has been very dry here in the Chicago area, and is still getting cool in the evenings. I am hoping its just evaporation, as we just did a DIY install of a new vinyl liner.

I'm adding a lot more water this year than is normal. Going through muriatic acid by the truckload with my high TA fill water.

I haven't needed to top off, but that is because we have had a crazy amount of rain over the past 3 weeks. Last week, when the weather turned cool, I saw a noticeable decrease in my water level, but still not enough to warrant topping off. I am always grateful for rain to help top off because we have well water, which is hard, although at least it doesn't screw up our pH or alkalinity much.

Dont't know if this helps DeeMack, but I'm in Central Illinois. It has been sooooo dry and windy here! I am topping off the pool far more often than what was normal last year. I think it is evaporation.

Thanks "tltmom".......I am 30 min. south of Chicago, in Indiana and we have the same issues here. My grass pretty much looks like straw and we have had alot of wind....I am going to try the bucket test tonight but again it is going to be cool tonight and only in low 70's tomorrow....urghhhhhh

If we go a week without rain during the Texas summer, I top off 1-2 times per week. However, I do a lot of lap swimming nearly every day (at a rapid pace) and there is a fair amount of splash out, including water splashing up against (and going down) the overflow drain. My wife's water aerobics workouts add to the splash-out. There's also bound to be some evaporation going on as well, not to mention the water loss due to occasional back-washing of the filter.

I keep my pool operational during the winter even though it is too cold to swim in. I rarely, if ever, have to top it off during the off season.

There is an article on Leak Detection here, including the bucket test.

Different part of the country but for reference I have to top off about once a week right now and we've been in the upper 80's low 90's. Once it gets hotter I'm sure it'll be more frequently. Last year it was several times a week during the 3-month long 100+degree heatwave!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.