Do leaves add phosphates?

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I have several Live Oaks around my pool and they are always dropping leaves into the pool. A pool repairman told me that the leaves add phosphates and I should add phosphate remover a couple times a year. What do you think?

Not necessary. You can maintain your pool to be free of algae using chlorine alone. Any extra algae food (phosphates and nitrates) from organic matter is going to be irrelevant when chlorine kills any blown-in algae faster than they can consume the food and reproduce.

Technically, most of the phosphorous in leaves and other organic matter has been converted into phosphate bonds that generally won't get broken down to phosphate that algae can use, at least not very quickly. Usually you remove such organic matter from the pool via the skimmer, pump basket or pool sweep bag before it breaks down too much.

Phosphates get into waterways from fertilizer runoff and detergents. Fertilizer, not plants and trees, are usually the culprit when phosphate levels climb in swimming pools. Still, as chem geek said, by maintaining proper chlorine levels in your pool, phosphates or no phosphates, you will not have algae.

Thanks. That is exactly what I thought and consistent with my experience. Wanted to check as the guy really knows his pool repair and has been in the business for 30 years. Also, he doesn't sell chemicals, so he was just saying what he believed he knew. I guess the bottom line is he knows pool repair, but only thinks he knows pool chemicals. Thanks for the information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.