Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this really normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this really normal?

Since opening our pool a month ago with the BBB method, I add bleach, brush, vacuum and enjoy! I wish I'd known about this method over the past 11 yrs of owning a pool. I test chlorine and ph levels daily...the rest, I test weekly (and adjust as needed), the most I've had to add/adjust is the chlorine and it varies from 3-4 cups every other day. I do, however, have a question...since I'm keeping my levels where they need to be, do I need (is it recommended) to add algaecide weekly?

Susan~
    7,600 gallons, 18x48 round AG, Vinyl Liner
    18.5" Sand Filter
    Hi-Flo Waterway Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this really normal?

It's normal for me and I've never put algaecide in my pool.

My pool survives on muriatic acid, 12.5% sodium hypochlorite, and 3" trichlor pucks when I leave town. That's it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

So do you only add it if algae shows up? I was wondering about this too.
    -J E F F-
    Intex 14' round 48" deep above ground pool
    HTH 6 way test kit
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter 1600g/hr
    I live in southwest Missouri

4. Back To Top    #4

Algaecide is only useful if you close the pool for the winter or you're on vacation and want some insurance. Otherwise it's not needed. It's just more profit for the pool store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you keep the FC in the recommended range all the time, algae will never show up. I've never had algae and have never shocked my pool or added algaecide for it. It's completely unneeded if you keep your FC where it needs to be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I think we added algaecide when we closed our pool last fall. But, once I started using the BBB method, I did not add algaecide. We opened our pool to serious swamp conditions 2 1/2 weeks ago and I did not add any algaecide, just a whole lot of cal-hypo and bleach and some stabilizer, which was the bottleneck in my shocking process. It took about 2 weeks, but we finally we good to go over the weekend.

On an ongoing basis, all I add is bleach or cal-hypo if I need the CH, baking soda on occasion and tri-chlor on vacation.
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter