Swimming after adding DE to sand filter

G

I am sure this is a dumb question, but just want to make sure it's ok to swim after adding DE to my sand filter or do I need to wait a certain amount of time?
Thanks
Dee

Yesterday evening we added DE to our sand filter to see if it would help filter out the very fine pollen we get from the cottonwood trees in our area. We first did a backwash, and after reading our users manual for our Hayward Sand Filter, we also put it on rinse for a minute after backwashing, which we never did. We just went by what the previous homeowner told us she did, which was only backwash. What we have noticed since doing these 2 things is that our return jets seem to be shooting out the water further. Not sure if it is because of the rinse that we did or because of adding DE in our sand filter..............any thoughts?

Backwashing cleans the sand in the filter by reversing the water flow and emptying the dirty water out to waste. When you rinse it flushes out the top of the filter to ensure that all the dirty water from the backwash doesn't go back into the pool. With out rinsing it is possible for what ever filth is left in the filter to just re deposit back into the sand and still cause less flow than normal. Most likely that is what was happening before.
Adding DE will increase the pressure in the filter, which in turn caused decreased pressure out the return as it captures the fines coming through.

Thank you so much. I am glad I read the instruction manual about rinsing, it sure seemed to make a pretty noticable difference. I have learned so much from TFP. Everyone here is so helpful !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.