Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter timer settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Madison Heights, Mich.

filter timer settings

hello all, i have a older hot tub with a mechanical timer for the filter, currently i have the timer set to filter 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night however im wondering if it wouldnt be better to break that up into two hour increments through out the day. what do you all think?

also should i invest in a ozonater?
    12 x 24 Rectangular Intex Ultra Frame. Aquastar 100 lb filter and 1hp. pump 100k minimax heater and in wall skimmer.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: filter timer settings

The timing of filtration doesn't matter very much. I wouldn't worry about that.

As for an ozonator, if you don't use your spa very much, say once or twice a week or less, and you are using chlorine then don't get an ozonator. When there aren't organics to oxidize, ozone will oxidize chlorine thus increasing chlorine demand by roughly double. If you use the spa heavily, every day or two, then an ozonator can be worthwhile since it will oxidize bather waste cutting down chlorine demand roughly in half.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"