Pool is finally clear, now how to mantain??

May 29, 2012
Atlanta GA
Broke down and flocked the pool over the weekend...nice and clear. :party: We have had rain for the last two days and I just did a weekly test on the pool and have a few questions.
FC -1
CC-0
PH 8. or higher
ALK- 170
CYA-30

I will add my bleach tonight to bring the FC back to 4. My question is about the PH and Alkalinity being so high. I suppose PH doesn't really concern me its the Alkalinity. How much should I lower my PH to get to Alk. down?

When I cleaned the pool filter with the hose, and then rinsed before it all settled, I lost quite a bit of sand. I know that with my filter takes 200lbs, is there a fill line inside to add more sand? To save me from having to replace it all. Also notice when I was in the pool today that the liner has shifted on the bottom in a couple places. We had a very crappy installation, long story and not a good one. The bottom of our pool has never been smooth, dips everywhere from sand shifting, but now there are like speed bumps (imagine an old wash board) just under the return jet. What could that be from?

Thanks for all of your help. This forum has been awesome, and I love not having to run to the pool store :)

I suppose PH doesn't really concern me its the Alkalinity.
Actually, it's the opposite. Get your pH down into the 7's right away. The TA will also come down but it acts as a buffer to help control the more important pH.

I would also suggest you bring CYA up to 50 but there's no real hurry.

1. Reduce your pH down into the 7's and keep it there with muriatic acid

2. I would suggest CYA of 50 but it's optional and no hurry.

3. Your TA will come down some when you lower the pH. I would leave it alone for a week or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.