Which SWG to get?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
This is what my setup will be and what I want to do.

Approximately 20k gallons
2hp 2speed Hayward tristar pump
6 spa jets in swim out 2 in steps
30" Hayward sand filter
Hayward color logic light

I was leaning towards the autopilot digital as it has a pump timer built in but after reading about it, it seems it will not operate a 2 speed pump but in one speed. Am I reading that right? My pump will be in low probably 75% of the time, if it is wired to the autopilot and wanted it in high mode can I do it?Would it be better to get a separate timer or would the built in timer work well? Also want temp reading, possibly light control, and winter protection. Would the autopilot be best for my situation? Was also looking at the aqua rite plus and jandy aqua pure.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AutoPilot can be setup in two different ways with a 2 speed pump. It can either turn the pump on and or, or it can change the speed. But it can't do both. Generally that is not a problem, as you just use a manual switch to change speed. None of the other SWGs will deal with a 2 speed pump any better than that.

The AutoPilot is the best of the high end models, it tends to be fairly expensive and has several extra features that others lack. If you are price sensitive there are several less expensive units that work well and do everything you really need, but don't have all of the features AutoPilot has. The AquaRite is a very well thought of mid-range unit.

Ok thanks Jason. One other question. Does any of these matter if they are mounted out in the elements? I can not mount them on the side of my house because of gas lines and don't want them on the other end because it would be a 45-50 ft run just to the shallow ends. So I will have to put the equipment pad probably 10 feet from the deepend and build some kind of support wall for whatever needs to he hung up.

All of them are designed to be able to be out in the weather. They do better if they are under a roof or cover to protect them from the majority of the rain and direct sunlight, but that is not essential.

Thanks Jason. One last question and it is probably a matter of preference but IYO which is easier and better as far as a timer goes for a 2 speed pump. Having it hooked up to the SWG and a separate switch for high and low or having a digital intermatic timer to run everything and forgo the SWG timer.

The ideal timer setup depends on how you plan to use the system. In most pools there is no reason to turn on high speed in routine usage, and having a manual speed switch works out wonderfully. But some setups might require timer control over the pump speed, for example a suction side pool cleaner that won't work correctly at low speed would require running at high speed part of the day and low speed the rest of the time, which would justify a fancier timer.

If I went with the hayward aqua plus or pro logic with salt will it control a Hayward tristar 2 speed for both power and speed or will I still need a separate switch for the speed control?

Also if I understand it correctly both of these have a Subpanel built into them. So could i use that for outlets and outdoor light I plan on running to a pergola I am planning on building? I will probably just have 2-3 outlets, ceiling fan, tv,exe... Would that work or would I still need a separate sub panel?

Also with 2 landscaping lights I plan on hooking up can they be controlled by the same relay as the color logic led light?

And what is the difference in the aqua plus and pro logic?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get everything figured out as we just ordered the pool and start digging in a few weeks. Thanks!

Those systems should do everything you want. They include a subpanel and control a 2 speed using 2 of the relays.

The aqua plus is the same as the P4 prolific, but the aqua plus includes the salt cell.

The PS4 pro logic has more options in the electronics and adds a fourth valve control. Note that valve 1 and 2 are slaved together for pool/spa switching.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Realize the p4 and ps4 only have 4 relays. The 2 speed pump will use 2 of them. Leaving you only 2 for pool light and any other lights/equipment you want to be controlled. You can certainly power other things off the sub panel ... they just may not be controlled.

The ps8 has 8 relays etc.

Or you could just leave a manual switch to select speeds and only use 1 relay.

jblizzle said:
Realize the p4 and ps4 only have 4 relays. The 2 speed pump will use 2 of them. Leaving you only 2 for pool light and any other lights/equipment you want to be controlled. You can certainly power other things off the sub panel ... they just may not be controlled.

The ps8 has 8 relays etc.

Or you could just leave a manual switch to select speeds and only use 1 relay.

Ok thanks. I have been reading the manual on the plus 4 and think it is exactly what I am looking for. One final question. The only other thing I would want automated would be landscaping lights. Can they be hooked together into one relay to both be controlled by the same relay or do they need their own separate relay?

And from looking at pictures it has 8 breaker slots, is that correct?

Yup 8 slots.

I think you should be able to feed quite a few lights through a single relay. Although I think all of them would have to be on the same breaker. Actually if the relays are dpdt, you theoretically should be able to run 2 circuits through the relay right?

I do not yet have one (lots of reading and asking questions myself).

kyle11 said:
This is what my setup will be and what I want to do.
I was leaning towards the autopilot digital as it has a pump timer built in but after reading about it, it seems it will not operate a 2 speed pump but in one speed. Am I reading that right? My pump will be in low probably 75% of the time, if it is wired to the autopilot and wanted it in high mode can I do it?Would it be better to get a separate timer or would the built in timer work well? Also want temp reading, possibly light control, and winter protection. Would the autopilot be best for my situation? Was also looking at the aqua rite plus and jandy aqua pure.

I received a letter after our pool install 4 years ago that our Zodiac Duo Clear Salt system cell was not to be powered on, if the pump was off. So the pump and cell are on the same power line .... both either off or on. I believe the cell needs a certain amount of flow through it to cool it properly when running. My unit manual specifies it requires 12 gal/minute minimum flow ( it the Imperial, or US gallon .. no idea).

I was told by the pool install guys to run at high only ...period! However, as far as my unit is concerned, as long as the cell is OFF, running at low is OK .... but i'm not really sure what would happen if the CELL is on at low speed.

Anyway, you better make sure power to the cell is off when the pump is off (which is only logical since you wouldn't need it since you not flowing water) .... however it is possible to turn the pump off and leave the cell on.

KC

No problem running cell on low. The aqua rite will only allow SWG power when pump is on and the flow sensor is activated. If low speed is enough flow to make the switch happy, then there is no problem.

Ended up with the aqua plus with 40k SWC for 999 at PoolSupply360. Cheapest place i found Will update when it comes in. Also found a $75 mail in rebate, so 925 is a heck of a deal. Looks like a new business but they had good reviews and offered to pay through PayPal which is another safety net if something happens.

jblizzle said:
Did you have a discount code? I do not see it at that price on their website.

I see that. I can not find it for the price I paid either. I emailed them and they said that price was a mistake that I paid , don't know how, but they said they raised the price but I will get it for the 999. Just got a tracking number in my email box so we will see how it goes.

Aqua plus came in today. Man that was quick. 2 days from ordering to front door. Great website and a great price. I will be ordering more stuff from them again! Now just need a pool to hook this thing up to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.