Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaRite Noise on Startup

1. Back To Top    #1

AquaRite Noise on Startup

When I turn my pump on every morning and the SWG powers up, there is a large "clunk" noise from the controller. Is this normal?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: AquaRite Noise on Startup

No! Maybe a quiet click, but not a large clunk.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never heard anything out of mine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

They do make a noise when they send power to the cell. It is noticeable, but it should not be extreme.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is not the noise when power goes to the cell. That is just a brief "Click". It happens when I turn the AC power on in the morning, even when the power switch on the generator is turned to "off", rather than "auto". It is an older unit (approx 10 years). It doesn't do it every time, which is why I find it odd.

6. Back To Top    #6

I get the same thing on my Aquarite (about 7 year old now). When you turn the power on at the timer (either manually or when timed), the white Aquarite contoller box CLUNKS, pretty close to a bang, as if someone hit the back of the unit with a small hammer.

Last year, I was able to reduce the noise considerably by rewiring the ground line to the controller, I may try it again this year - actually replacing all the wires. I'm thinking that the contacts get gummed up somehow over the winter, causing the clunk, but I don't really know for sure. The noise is loud enough that I think whatever is causing it may be visible if I remove the faceplate (using extreme caution!!), but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Glad to hear I am not alone.

Please let me know what you find when you remove the faceplate.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Wally 434,

The noise you are hearing is probably a loud "thump." This thump is the transformer kicking in. I am not exactly sure why it happens sometimes and not every time. It may have something to do with the voltage that the unit gets suddenly, but it is harmless and the unit should be fine. We have a test unit we use here at our retail store and every now and then we get the "thump" too.

Jim Garrison
    The Guru of Pools

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I will rest easier now, knowing I am not doing any damage.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by GuruOfPools View Post
    Wally 434,

The noise you are hearing is probably a loud "thump." This thump is the transformer kicking in. I am not exactly sure why it happens sometimes and not every time. It may have something to do with the voltage that the unit gets suddenly, but it is harmless and the unit should be fine. We have a test unit we use here at our retail store and every now and then we get the "thump" too.

Jim Garrison
    The Guru of Pools
    Same exact issue with my brand new unit and the old one it replaced. A friend, who spent his entire career working on electrical control systems, looked at it. He says it's probably inrush current to the transformer. We placed a capacitor across the incoming 220 at the timer and that helped considerably. It didn't, however, eliminate it. The initial bang we hear is likely many times the rated power of the transformer. I'm curious as to the longevity of the units with this issue.

Mods: feel free to move this if you don't want a dead thread resurrected.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit