Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool cleaners and vinyl over vermiculite-HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Virginia Beach, VA

pool cleaners and vinyl over vermiculite-HELP!

Hi All,

I have an older Polaris with a standard 3 wheel config; am looking at upgrading to a tanktrax model as they are (I'm told) easier on the vinyl liner. Unfortunately the contractor I used in redoing the pool did not do such a great job in smoothing the vermiculite base under the new liner. In just 2 years I developed small holes (significant enough to affect water levels over a day or two) from the friction of the drive wheels on the vinyl. I have also looked at the Hayward models that use water propulsion as opposed to moving wheels and am looking for a little guidance to avoid more liner issues. Any ideas would be appreciated..........
    16' x 35' 23,500 gal Grecian in-ground w/vinyl over vermiculite, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward pump & Polaris pump. Built in 88, overhauled (plumbing, liner, etc,) in 2005

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida
    There's been other reports of other vacs wearing holes in the liner.....I'm not sure it's limited to one brand.

I'm not much help here.....I will tell you that my suction-side cleaner has little rubber feet that vibrate to propel absolutely doesn't wear the liner but, then, it doesn't clean worth a darn, either!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School