I'm pool stupid!

Just did it yesterday and it made it worse. I was reading other posts and it was talking about green pools making them clog quick but I'm not sure if I understand how to backwash?? It seams like sence I got this filter I have had problems but I think it's me not knowing what I'm doing.

Welcome to tfp, Steve-20 :wave:

I too am curious how your water looks? If a filter clogs quickly, it could also be a sign of stuff/algae in the water, though the rate yours climbs seem awfully fast for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's a mess....then it sounds like maybe the filter is working fine. You may have hit the one side effect of DE. It works VERY well at filtering out stuff. I would suggest doing as Linen suggested and running on bypass while trying to clear it up some.

Pool is clean filter is clean it does not shut off but does get hot cause it's like the filter is cloged pressure is high on the gauge but low where the h2o comes out in the pool. The filter I have let's me shake with a handle on top and then it works for about another hour but clogs up again.

OK... I have great knowledge of swamps and Perflex filters. This is one area of my pool, I know WAAAAAAY to well.

If you have a valve in the clean-out fitting of your filter, you cannot really have a bypass but one can me made. I don't normally do this.

This is what my filter looks like. I have the grey colored return line hooked up the the bottom of my skimmer to service my pump and filter. The black hose on the ground is my suction line. With the hoses like this, I can do anything and everything to my pump/filter combo. The valve in the left of this photo is the clean-out one I have. I can hook-up a backwash hose to the fitting with a hose clamp. Do you have your backwash piped?

IMG_5293.JPG

If you are running for 60 minutes before your filter is completely plugged up, you are doing pretty good. When the water is green, and swampy, there is a ton of garbage in the water to filter out. you are going to need to run the filter as long as you can before the pressures max out and then bump it again and keep doing this until your cycle time is less than 30 minutes. I know mine clean pressure is 14 and max pressure if 23. If I am over 16-18, I bump/regenerate the filer by "bumping the handle". If I am back at 20+ immediately after bumping, I know I need to take the filter apart and clean it.

I forgot, each time you "backwash" you leave up to 20% of the dirty DE in the filter. If you add a 100% load of DE to the filter, it will have too much DE and this is not good for filtering or cycle times. it shortens the cycle and causes pressure increases.

In case you don't know, the proper way to bump is to shut off the pump. When the filter is really impacted, I wait about 2 minutes for pressure to equalize and then I push down slowly on the bump handle and up quickly. If I do not wait, that first pump can have LOTS of resistance and I am afraid I am going to break the handle. Hayward says to to this three time. I normally will do it until I feel the inside resistance of the filter loosen up, it's kind of a feel thing. The first pump there is a lot of resistance, the second less and so forth. But there seems to be a point at about 5-8 pumps where it changes and you no longer feel much resistance.

If you are motivated and can spend a day or possibly a weekend dedicated to cleaning/pumping and filtering, you can go from swamp to clean in a weekend. It may take an entire 25 pound box of DE... or more depending on your level of swamp.

I don't want to write a novel but if you would like more help, in the thread or via PM, I can help you get clean. I have done it more times than i care to admit. I also have photos of how to clean the filter.

How large is your pool? How good/expensive is your fill water? just keeping our options open

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.