Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm pool stupid!

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm pool stupid!

My Hayward perflex extended cycle d.e. filter
    Is clogging up within a min. or two don't know wha to do??
    13500 gallon 24x4 round above ground... for my kids and mom.Trying the BBB method
    250 gal Dream Maker hot tub ...switch from the Baquacrap to the BBB method
    I use the hot tub almost daily due to muscle and bone soreness and pain.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm pool stupid!

Hey Steve, Welcome to TFP.

What is the pressure gauge reading when it's clean and when it's clogged?
    How much DE are you adding back to it once you clean it?
    What model do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Starts at 10 psi ang jumps to 20. I put 5lbs of de and the Model#ec50c93s not sure if that helps.
    13500 gallon 24x4 round above ground... for my kids and mom.Trying the BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

How long has it been since you opened up the filter and did a complete clean out? If it has been a while, you probably have way too much DE stuck inside the filter and that is clogging it up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just did it yesterday and it made it worse. I was reading other posts and it was talking about green pools making them clog quick but I'm not sure if I understand how to backwash?? It seams like sence I got this filter I have had problems but I think it's me not knowing what I'm doing.

6. Back To Top    #6

what does your water look like??

7. Back To Top    #7

A swamp.

8. Back To Top    #8

I thought about stocking it with fish and buying a case of beer lol

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to tfp, Steve-20

I too am curious how your water looks? If a filter clogs quickly, it could also be a sign of stuff/algae in the water, though the rate yours climbs seem awfully fast for that.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-20
    A swamp.
    Then if you haven't, you need to read this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efeating_algae

You may have to run the filter in bypass mode for awhile, and do some vacuum to waste of stuff that might be on the bottom.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

If it's a mess....then it sounds like maybe the filter is working fine. You may have hit the one side effect of DE. It works VERY well at filtering out stuff. I would suggest doing as Linen suggested and running on bypass while trying to clear it up some.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not sure if I have a bypass where would I find that?

13. Back To Top    #13

It might help if you post a pic of your setup, but basically you need to set your valve/valves to allow the water to circulate without going through the filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ya don't have a bypass. I will try to do what the pool school said

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok I got the water clean but now I can't keep the filter going for more than an hour. Could it be to small? What else could be the problem?

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

What else could be the problem?
    It could be dirty but you need to provide a little more info. Does the pump shut off? Have you cleaned the filter? Is the pump too hot to touch? Does thepump pop the circuit breaker?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Pool is clean filter is clean it does not shut off but does get hot cause it's like the filter is cloged pressure is high on the gauge but low where the h2o comes out in the pool. The filter I have let's me shake with a handle on top and then it works for about another hour but clogs up again.

18. Back To Top    #18

The handle is for bumping it. You are going to need to backwash, bumping becomes less effective each time.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok I will try that thanks

20. Back To Top    #20

OK... I have great knowledge of swamps and Perflex filters. This is one area of my pool, I know WAAAAAAY to well.

If you have a valve in the clean-out fitting of your filter, you cannot really have a bypass but one can me made. I don't normally do this.

This is what my filter looks like. I have the grey colored return line hooked up the the bottom of my skimmer to service my pump and filter. The black hose on the ground is my suction line. With the hoses like this, I can do anything and everything to my pump/filter combo. The valve in the left of this photo is the clean-out one I have. I can hook-up a backwash hose to the fitting with a hose clamp. Do you have your backwash piped?

If you are running for 60 minutes before your filter is completely plugged up, you are doing pretty good. When the water is green, and swampy, there is a ton of garbage in the water to filter out. you are going to need to run the filter as long as you can before the pressures max out and then bump it again and keep doing this until your cycle time is less than 30 minutes. I know mine clean pressure is 14 and max pressure if 23. If I am over 16-18, I bump/regenerate the filer by "bumping the handle". If I am back at 20+ immediately after bumping, I know I need to take the filter apart and clean it.

I forgot, each time you "backwash" you leave up to 20% of the dirty DE in the filter. If you add a 100% load of DE to the filter, it will have too much DE and this is not good for filtering or cycle times. it shortens the cycle and causes pressure increases.

In case you don't know, the proper way to bump is to shut off the pump. When the filter is really impacted, I wait about 2 minutes for pressure to equalize and then I push down slowly on the bump handle and up quickly. If I do not wait, that first pump can have LOTS of resistance and I am afraid I am going to break the handle. Hayward says to to this three time. I normally will do it until I feel the inside resistance of the filter loosen up, it's kind of a feel thing. The first pump there is a lot of resistance, the second less and so forth. But there seems to be a point at about 5-8 pumps where it changes and you no longer feel much resistance.

If you are motivated and can spend a day or possibly a weekend dedicated to cleaning/pumping and filtering, you can go from swamp to clean in a weekend. It may take an entire 25 pound box of DE... or more depending on your level of swamp.

I don't want to write a novel but if you would like more help, in the thread or via PM, I can help you get clean. I have done it more times than i care to admit. I also have photos of how to clean the filter.

How large is your pool? How good/expensive is your fill water? just keeping our options open
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100