Hello, and need advice on above ground pool and deck

lnhp

Jun 11, 2012
Hello! Once again we are contemplating getting a pool, and now that our son is getting a little older we may finally ready. Ideally we would like an inground pool, but that is not going to happen for $$$ reasons. In our area a really nice inground pool might get you a few thousand more when re-selling, or it might completely dissuade others from even looking at it. Sine we don't know if this is our "forever house", we know that any money spent is probably not going to be recouped if we sell. We are in the the Hudson valley region so we have a moderately short season.

Our backyard slopes down. It seems that a doughboy oval pool might work where we build part of it into the slope and then can have a lower deck integrated into our existing deck. Our current deck is 6 feet above the ground, and at the edge of the deck the ground has a very gentle slope for the next 14 feet, then starts a much steeper slope.

Also, any advice on designing the deck knowing that there will be a lot of kids using it, such as built in benches to store some of the pool toys? We do not have a shed close where the pool would be placed.

If we want to have the decking installed similar to this http://www.softubspas.co.uk/doughboy-pr ... p-642.html is it going to be crazy expensive? We really would like a similar look around the edge of the pool. I don't really like the look of the lip part showing, and worry about it being a tripping hazard with kids.

Does anyone have pics of similar projects or can offer advice on what has worked/not worked for them? There is a local installer coming at the end of next week to check out the site and give some recommendations and will then put us in contact with a local deck installer. Not sure if we will be using him or not, but wanted to have some ideas before he comes.

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to tfp, Inhp :wave:

The link you included does look expensive to me...but I haven't priced anything like that. Your best bet may be show it to your installer/deck installer and get his/her quote. I would then get at least one more quote from another installer to compare.

Hopefully others with experience similar to what you are doing will chime in soon :whip: