Question Filter Pressure

rma127

Jun 11, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Hello. I am new to the forum. I do not have a complete test kit, but i do have results from the AquaChem test Strip(I know not very reliable but all i have for now).

Hardness - 250
Total Chlorine - 1(OK)
Free Chlorine - 1(LOW)
PH - 6.8
Total Alkalinity - 120
Stabilizer - 100

I am going to add PH UP ad Shock it this eveninig.

I have had filter pressure problems for a while. At first i thought(and correctly) that it was plugging/clogging up with sediment. But now it is not visibly clogged and i am seeing the same results.
Within hours of cleaning the cartridge filter i see my pressure go from 24PSI to about 33PSI. I am using a filter cleaner solution and even used some TSP cleaning solution, the filters(I alternate between 2) clean up nicely and start out with 24PSI and within and hour or so up to 33PSI. At the same time my Return lines have considerably lower output. I wonder if i may have something caught in the return line that maybe travels down to a bend and stops there? just not sure what to think the problem can be. I have one main Return that must split into the two Returns at the pool. At the pump end i have one of thos free standing Tubes that you can drop the pucks into. I wonder if i put my shop vac on blow into a return line and force whatever may be plugged back to the pump if maybe it will break it up. any ideas?

thanks

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your filter or system. I think your problem is algae. You probably have just enough FC in there to keep it from becoming a full blown bloom but not enough to eradicate it. You'll need better test results for us to make a determination of what it really is.

What does the water look like?

Maintaining a pool with stabilizer that high is very very difficult. I recommend that your replace water to get your stabilizer (CYA) level down to something more reasonable, like say 60 or so. Once you do that it will be far simpler to get rid of the algae.

Thanks. I had a visible Algae problem about 2 weeks ago and treated it with Algaecide. It is sparkling clear now, could Algae still be present? I have not seen the filter looking dirty when cleaning, not like when there was visible Algae you could see the filter rinsing and green/yellow water coming out of it. So you suggest i drain part of the pool? Or just continue to treat with Algaecide. I will look for a test kit and try to post some results.
thanks

Oh, and i am also going to get a brass nozzle, i have been using my garden hose to clean the filter and although it looks clean and white i have read on here that i should use the brass nozzle.

Also. I just read some more on this forum, i suspect my CYA got high because the guy at my pool store told me that adding the powdered shock was best for the pool, he said it has a higher dose of Chlorine, he didn't tell me that adding it as frequent as he told me would cause my CYA to go up. Last night i drained about 1/3 of the pool. I still need to get a good test kit, but i have learned that to kill the algae just adding regular bleach is much better than the powdered shock in terms of not impacting the stabilizer. I have been brushing the walls regularly but since i had a filter problem i assumed that since i could not see algae meant it was not present and that my filter problem was something other than algae. Live and Learn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.