pool light tripping GFCI

Mar 21, 2012
My pool light trips the GFCI on the panel. The switch inside the house is connected to the output of a GFCI receptacle on the pool electrical panel. Does any one know how to figure out what's going wrong?

120V breaker hot -----> |GFCI | --->switch------> pool bulb live
120V neutral ---------> |outlet |-----------------> pool bulb neutral
GROUND -------------->|----------|>----------------->pool bulb ground

JasonLion said:
Water inside the light fixture is one common cause.
My pool builder went through three Hayward light fixtures to find one that didn't leak. He told me the other day that he had another one leak at a new install.

ETA: The first time they were trouble shooting the issue they connected the wiring to an extension cord and plugged it in to a different circuit. It blew that circuit as well.

I want to verify you have the GFCI wired correctly It should be:

120V breaker hot -----> |GFCI Line| ; |GFCI Load| --->switch------> pool bulb live
120V neutral ---------> |GFCI Line| ; |GFCI Load| -----------------> pool bulb neutral

The neutral has to pass through the GFCI outlet as well as the hot.

jblizzle said:
I want to verify you have the GFCI wired correctly It should be:

120V breaker hot -----> |GFCI Line| ; |GFCI Load| --->switch------> pool bulb live
120V neutral ---------> |GFCI Line| ; |GFCI Load| -----------------> pool bulb neutral

The neutral has to pass through the GFCI outlet as well as the hot.

Yes, I think it is. The connection at the top of the GFCI, normally covered with a red sticker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.