Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about wiring a two speed 220V pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about wiring a two speed 220V pump

I'm converting my existing Hayward Superpump to a 230 v single phase pump motor. My current setup is 120V. In my panel, I have two legs: Red and black. Each is 120V. They come off of a two pole GFCI breaker. So at my pump wiring box, I have Red-hot 120V, Black-hot 120V and White common.

I have two timers: An Intermatic DPST for the main power switching and an Intermatic SPST to switch between low and high.

Initially, I thought that you would wire one of the 120V lines to high, the second to low, and the white to common. I was going to use the SPST Intermatic to turn the high speed leg on and off. But apparently this is not correct so I am a little confused. On another site, I read that one of the 120V hot wires goes to "common" and the other is switched between the high and low legs. But where does the white wire go with this arrangement?

In the motor, there are terminals for L1-High Speed, L2-Common, A-Low Speed and a green terminal for ground.

What I want to do is to have the DPST Intermatic Timer switch the pump on and a second Intermatic SPST timer switch between low and high speed.

How would you wire this?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about wiring a two speed 220V pump

First thing is let's back up a bit.

You say that your current setup is 120 volt but then you describe a 240 volt connection. Let's step back and take this one step at a time so we don't fry a motor or worse, get somebody (you) hurt.

The way your pump is wired now is the red wire is hooked to one side of a double pole breaker and the black wire is hooked to the other? Is that correct?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The other site was right. One hot to common. The other hot switches between high and low. Green to green ground screw. There is no need for white wire in 240 applications.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama, as currently wired, the red hot wire runs the pool pump only, with a white wire neutral. I have a second hot wire in the pump wiring box that is not currently in use. They apparently wired for 230V pump but only installed 115V using one leg. I'm going to now use the black leg, running both red and black through a DPST GFI in the panel.

So I'll terminate the white wire at the DPST Intermatic Timer, run the red wire to common on the pump, run the black wire to the T106R timer to switch between high and low. So Black will go into the T106R and two wires will come out to be hooked respectively to the High and Low terminals of the pump. The switch will have one or the other hot but never both.

5. Back To Top    #5

What are the model numbers for both of the timers you have? Is it two separate timers or one combo timer.
    When you say "terminate the white wire", do you mean leave it disconnected and taped up?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

No Bama, it would have to run to the T104 box and then from there to the T106 box to provide ground for the 120V timers in each. I have separate timers as I already had the T106 and would be adding the T104.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hope this helps. http://www.electrical-online.com/wiring ... p-diagram/

The first switch would be the T104, the second would be the T106.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

That was perfect, thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

That's why I asked for models. The T104 & T106 are 240 volt clocks and therefore don't need the neutral. They use both hots to power the clocks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ah, thanks for that bit of information.

Appreciate all the help, folks!.