Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to choose a pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

How to choose a pool heater

We have an old (15-18 year old) Hayward pool heater that has stopped working and we need to buy a new heater. What factors should I consider when buying a heater? My husband would like to replace it as soon as possible (my daughter's birthday party is in 3 weeks) and has ruled out solar because he thinks it will be very expensive and take a long time to install. We are very inexperienced with pool equipment (but thanks to this forum, I'm good at water chemistry) and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    IG, plaster, 18,500 gallons, DE Filter, Hayward pump, Aqua Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to choose a pool heater

What type heater was it?
    What size heater did you have?
    Were you happy with it's performance?

If you answered yes to the last one I'd go back with one that size or a little larger.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What type heater was it?
    What size heater did you have?
    Were you happy with it's performance?

If you answered yes to the last one I'd go back with one that size or a little larger.
    +1
    That's what I did! After much research, I learned that Teledyne/Laars suggested a much bigger unit, like 400K BTU. Trouble is, I have a limited amount of space available for the heater. The 175K BTU unit (same size as the old heater) was the largest that would fit in the same footprint. So, I shopped for it online, found the best price, & had my pool guy do the install.

I'm comfortable with this unit. I understand how it works and that I need to plan for raising the heat much. Might not be as happy if I had to use it a lot more, since I understand it's not as efficient (that is, it costs more to raise the pool temp) as a "properly" sized unit.

Just my experience. Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Idealy, with an 18,500 gallon pool (160,000 LBS of water) I would suggest a min of 300,000 BTU. This will give about a 1.5* temp rise per hour. Understand that large temp variations in air temp can affect this such as cool nights can cause a larger heat loss and realy warm days can increase heat gain
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

You didn't mention what type of pool heater you have (eg. natural gas, heat pump, electric) but I believe a heat pump heater is the most economical. I have an older heat siphon heat pump it's easy to use and seems reliable. http://www.heatsiphon.com/index.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida