Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Speed pump recomendation

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Speed pump recomendation

Can anyone recommend a good 2 speed pump to upgrade to? Electricity rates in my state are fairly low so I don't know if I would benefit much with a variable pump.

Would it be worth it just replacing the motor with a 2 speed? Found some 2 speed motors that would be a direct bolt on for a few hundred dollars.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 Speed pump recomendation

If the wet end is in good shape it's a very good idea to just replace the motor with a 2-speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It doesn't make any odd noises and the pro I had open the pool said it sounds fine. Figure if I don't have to cut into the plumbing I could just replace it myself.

Is 3/4HP enough for my pool size? I run it about 10-12 hours and it seems like it does a good job.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

If you put a motor that is smaller than your current motor, you also should replace the impeller.

What pump and motor size do you have now?

Just realized that info may be in your signature which I can not see on my phone.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Purex Triton Challenger 3/4 pump
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

A 3/4 hp is a good size for your pool as long as you don't have any water features that require more flow (which apparently you don't). You may have to go with a 1 hp 2-speed but if you do it'll be fine with the 3/4 hp impeller. If you wanted a little more flow you could change the impeller too but then you're getting into the cost of a new pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I found this motor earlier this season.
    2EZ Speed - .75HP Square Flange 2 Speed with Timer
    https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/13495.htm
    http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/s ... /0/2ez.htm

They come in square flange and C-flange.

Hope that helps.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

bobodaclown- That looks like a good motor with a timer at a good price.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

I have put in dozens of those motors, they are great. The wiring is a little different though so read the instructions

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by keene3b07
    I have put in dozens of those motors, they are great. The wiring is a little different though so read the instructions
    Thanks. That does give me more confidence to order one next week.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Anyone?
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, that motor will replace your existing motor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Installed the motor yesterday with some new gaskets and this morning the electricians provided a 230V line and it works like a champ. Thanks to everyone that offered their opinion.

I did go with the US Motors / Emerson 3/4HP 2 speed programmable. I thought it was very easy to swap out the old motor.
    https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/13495.htm

I will have to see if the factory default settings on the timer are going to be adequate to keep the pool properly clean.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

That was a good price! Nice job on the fix
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by keene3b07
    Would you say this is a much more reliable motor (2EZ Speed) than the imPower variable speed motor by Marathon Electric? I want to replace the single speed motor in my Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp pump with either a dual speed or v.s. motor like the imPower, but since that's a relatively new motor technology (permanent magnets and totally enclosed motor) I'm wondering if they'll hold up quite well to central FL's weather. Would really appreciate your help and recommendation.
    10k gal. plaster IGP with attached Spa, Pentair EasyTouch 4 automation system with 4 circuit wireless control, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 1hp single speed pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 Salt Water Chlorine Generator, 3x Savi Melody w/color LED's, Pentair MasterTemp 400 LP water heater, Pentair Clean & Clear CC150 Cartridge Filter.

17. Back To Top    #17

Stew, glad it worked out for you.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida