Replacing the sand in my filter

May 15, 2012
Every time it rains I have to fight a cloudy pool. I'm wondering if the sand in my filter needs replacing. The filter was new in 2006 but I don't know if the previous owners ever replaced the sand. I have a 40,000 gallon in ground pool. How often should the sand be replaced and how long should a sand filter even last?

Thanks!

Most here will tell you sand doesn't need replaced unless you did a conversion from bacquacil to BBB.

You might try cleaning the sand. It's possible you have channels in it that aren't allowing it to clean properly.

You can also put some DE (another pool filtering medium) into the sand filter- just put it in through the skimmer, for added filtration. It helps remove smaller material. I believe you can find instructions for that in pool school.

Bama Rambler has a good point... test results could tell us where you are as far as water balance. A cloudy pool is often algae trying to take hold and not likely your filter.

If you've never rinsed your sand, it would probably be a good thing to do, but likely not what is making your water cloudy when it rains. When my sand needed rinsed, I was having trouble with fine particles of dirt and debris that my filter would no longer remove.

I have a 40,000 in ground, plaster pool.
Filter is a Pentair Triton II
Pump is a Whisperflow WF-28

Today's numbers
FC - 4
Total chlorine - 4
Calcum hardness - 180
CYA - 60
Alkalinity - 90
pH - 7.4
Phosphates - 300

I'm not really sure how to treat low CH or high Pho? Every time I go to Leslie's I walk out of there with a bunch of expensive chemicals. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ignore the phosphate level. As long as you maintain appropriate FC levels phosphates are irrelevant.

Your FC level is too low. With a CYA of 60 you want to keep FC between 5 and 9, and never below 5. This is almost certainly the cause of the cloudiness. Rain tends to lower the FC level, which is already low. A little lower and algae will start growing and cloud up the water. Make sure FC never goes below 5 and you should be fine.

Do you have a plaster or fiberglass pool? If so you increase CH with calcium increaser, most easily available at pool stores, though a few deicers will work as a substitute if you can find the right kind. For a vinyl pool there is no need to increase CH.

You can rid yourself of spending tons at Leslies by getting yourself a good test kit, if you don't already have one, and taking control of your pool. Your will look great and your wallet will appreciate it.

As Jason said, your FC is too low and you probably need to follow the shock process and then keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA all the time.

Do you have a swcg?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.