Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing the sand in my filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing the sand in my filter

Every time it rains I have to fight a cloudy pool. I'm wondering if the sand in my filter needs replacing. The filter was new in 2006 but I don't know if the previous owners ever replaced the sand. I have a 40,000 gallon in ground pool. How often should the sand be replaced and how long should a sand filter even last?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing the sand in my filter

Most here will tell you sand doesn't need replaced unless you did a conversion from bacquacil to BBB.

You might try cleaning the sand. It's possible you have channels in it that aren't allowing it to clean properly.

You can also put some DE (another pool filtering medium) into the sand filter- just put it in through the skimmer, for added filtration. It helps remove smaller material. I believe you can find instructions for that in pool school.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Tell us more about your pool and equipment (size, type, etc).
    How long do you run the pump each day?
    How do you chlorinate the pool?
    Can you post a full set of test results?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama Rambler has a good point... test results could tell us where you are as far as water balance. A cloudy pool is often algae trying to take hold and not likely your filter.

If you've never rinsed your sand, it would probably be a good thing to do, but likely not what is making your water cloudy when it rains. When my sand needed rinsed, I was having trouble with fine particles of dirt and debris that my filter would no longer remove.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 40,000 in ground, plaster pool.
    Filter is a Pentair Triton II
    Pump is a Whisperflow WF-28

Today's numbers
    FC - 4
    Total chlorine - 4
    Calcum hardness - 180
    CYA - 60
    Alkalinity - 90
    pH - 7.4
    Phosphates - 300

I'm not really sure how to treat low CH or high Pho? Every time I go to Leslie's I walk out of there with a bunch of expensive chemicals. Thanks in advance for the help.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ignore the phosphate level. As long as you maintain appropriate FC levels phosphates are irrelevant.

Your FC level is too low. With a CYA of 60 you want to keep FC between 5 and 9, and never below 5. This is almost certainly the cause of the cloudiness. Rain tends to lower the FC level, which is already low. A little lower and algae will start growing and cloud up the water. Make sure FC never goes below 5 and you should be fine.

Do you have a plaster or fiberglass pool? If so you increase CH with calcium increaser, most easily available at pool stores, though a few deicers will work as a substitute if you can find the right kind. For a vinyl pool there is no need to increase CH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

You can rid yourself of spending tons at Leslies by getting yourself a good test kit, if you don't already have one, and taking control of your pool. Your will look great and your wallet will appreciate it.

As Jason said, your FC is too low and you probably need to follow the shock process and then keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA all the time.

Do you have a swcg?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

What is a SWCG? I have powdered shock from Leslie's. Active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite.

9. Back To Top    #9

A salt water chlorine generator.

Since your CH is low you can use the cal-hypo for a while. Read the pool school article on how to shock your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

By the way my sand was at least 20 years old before my filter broke, and still worked fine. Don't let the pool store fool you into thinking you need to replace it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool is chlorine and I have an auto chlorinator.

12. Back To Top    #12

You can use the pool calculator to figure much cal-hypo it takes to get to shock level and how much total you can use before your CH gets too high
    Dave J. TFP Moderator