Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Whisperflo vs. Hayward Superpump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Whisperflo vs. Hayward Superpump

It appears that I will be replacing my 5 season old, currently in my 6th season, 1.5 HP Whisperflow pool pump, starting to make a lot of noise. I also have a 2 speed Whisperflo pump, same age, for my spa that is working just fine. My local pool store ower tells me the Hayward superpumps are superior to the Whisperflos but Carl, at PoolPlaza, says just the opposite.

Any opinions/advice on these two pumps? Thanks!
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Whisperflow vs. Hayward Superpump

Coke v Pepsi? Ford v Chevy? Dems v Republican? Seems to be one of those deals many times.

3. Back To Top    #3

The Pentair Superflo is a replacement for the Hayward SuperPump and I would consider them as equals in performance, efficiency and reliability. The Whisperflo is a much more powerful pump and a little higher efficiency so it is a little unfair to compare this pump to a SuperPump. The Whisperflo is better suited to larger pools and larger plumbing while the opposite is true of the SuperPump/SuperFlo series. Plus the Whisperflo is more expensive and voltage setup may be different as well.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, all. It looks as if a replacement of another Whisperflow pump for my 25k gallon pool is the way to go, small difference in price between the Hayward and it. Agree?

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Pentair Whisperflo vs. Hayward Superpump

It depends. Which Whisperflo are you considering and describe your setup:

Number of suctions runs and pipe diameter
    Number of skimmers/main drains
    Number return runs and pipe diameter
    What is your current pump voltage setup?

BTW, when I talk about big pools, I am referring to pools much larger than yours and mine. Your pool requires only 35 GPM for a 12 hour turnover and any pump can do that, even on low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    It depends. Which Whisperflo are you considering and describe your setup:currently have WF-26 1.5 HP Whisperflo

Number of suctions runs and pipe diameter 4 suction runs, 1.5" ID
    Number of skimmers/main drains 3 skimmers, 2 main drains coupled together
    Number return runs and pipe diameter3 returns + return thru booster pump when not in use + shear decent, 1.5" ID
    What is your current pump voltage setup?115V
    All above ground pipe is 2" ID
    BTW, when I talk about big pools, I am referring to pools much larger than yours and mine. Your pool requires only 35 GPM for a 12 hour turnover and any pump can do that, even on low speed.

7. Back To Top    #7

With 3 skimmers, you probably don't want to reduce flow rate too much so I would stick with the Whisperflo line. Do you usually keep them all running and is the skimming action strong or just marginal?

The Whisperflo WFDS-3 or 24 would probably work fine but each skimmer would have some reduced flow rate (~20%) due to the smaller pump. If the skimmers have more than enough skimming action now, this should not be a problem but if you find they are marginal, you might want to stick with what you have. Also, given the age of the pump, if you want to save a bit of cash and installation time, you could just replace the impeller and motor of your old pump.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I do keep all skimmers and main drain running all the time and the flow seems to be good, not super strong but not weak either. Sounds like the 1.5 HP Whisperflo is about right. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you wanted to look at other brands, the Hayward Tristar and Jandy Stealth lines are more comparable in performance (and price) to the Whisperflo. Given that you already had one of those, it's probably just easiest to replace it with one from the same line.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, Melt. That's probably what I'm going to do, get another Whisperflo unless someone gives me a good reason to try something else.

11. Back To Top    #11

When you do look, make sure to shop around for both the WFDS-4/WFDS-26. They're the same pump, but with a significant difference in price when I was looking.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden