Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloudy blue pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy blue pool water

Hi! My name is Amy and I am new here
    I am desperately trying to clear up my pool. It is an above ground and holds 18500 gallons.
    My water is blue. And I can't see the bottom!! It is cloudy and nothing is clearing it up!

Some history: we installed the pool last year and had it sparkling. Then I went on vacay to help my sister for 3 weeks and hubby didn't do anything to the pool. It was green black when I got home. We got it mostly cleared up but not all the way.

This year it was a disgusting green brown mud looking pool. We have shocked the heck out of it. Used those filter socks, pool first aid, and some of the white fluffy stuff that u put into the skimmer. We have vacuumed (auto) and run the filter 24/7. Nothing is clearing!!

My latest adventure was flock. But it did nothing. I still can't see to vacuum! I have been to the pool store a zillion times and nothing helps but my wallet keeps emptying
    I have a Hayward sand filter.
    My water was tested yesterday before the flock so I am hoping u can help. I had put in almost triple the dose of chlorine shock 2 days prior...
    Temp 80
    Total chlorine 7.5
    Free chlorine 6.9
    Ph 7.1
    Total alkalinity 104
    Adj total alkalinity 94
    Total hardness 118

I normally buy my stuf from leslies pool and use 4 cups of shock and 3 big tablets along with that blue stuff in a bottle? Some sort of clarifier? I am out of it and dont know the name...sorry

So any advice? Should I replace my sand? It's new last year... I am just frustrated as we have a grad party in less than 2 weeks that the pool is primary attraction.

Thanks in advance!
    Amy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy blue pool water

Welcome to TFP!

What is your CYA level?

The short answer is to run your pump 24/7 and maintain sufficient chlorine constantly. Nothing else will really work.

You need to know your CYA level to determine what chlorine level you need Chlorine CYA Chart and then you follow the advice in Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Cya is 34. Sorry. Didn't know what that was.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dinifam
    Cya is 34. Sorry. Didn't know what that was.
    CYA is also know as stabilizer. It protects your chlorine from UV light from the sun, but it also makes your chlorine less active.

At 35ppm CYA, you should try to hold your chlorine at 12ppm until the problem clears. With the water having a blue tint, it sounds like you are over the hump on clearing the water, but you need to stay on it to finish the job.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with John. The majority of the time, a cloudy pool is one with algae growing in it. Find your CYA level and start shocking. You will raise your FC level to a high point where it will kill off all growth you may have.

Find your cya level....buy your own kit......start shocking with liquid bleach.

Welcome to the site!

Edit.....beat me to it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I can do that. But I have a few silly questions...what type of kit do I buy and can I buy it locally? I have a leslies pool supply. Secondly how exactly does one brush a pool??? And also the pool lady said my ph was low. Do I need to do anything with that or with my alkalinity. And finally. Should I use the pool shock I have or go buy bleach. And if so how much? My maintenance dose is 4 cups. I used ten and it did nothing.... Should I shock it everyday? And how do I know if my sand is ok?
    Sorry so many questions but I am such a newbie pool owner!!

7. Back To Top    #7

One more thing...do I have a chance in heck to get this cleared by next Friday? And should I just filter or run the auto barracuda vacuum thingy?

8. Back To Top    #8

The ph at 7.1 is a tad low....but it will go up on its on. I wouldn't worry. Many of us on the site use liquid bleach, but liquid "shock" is the same....just more expensive and stronger at times. Post the prices and the strength and we'll find the cheapest for you.

The TF-100 is the kit of choice on the site. It's got every test you'll need for your pool....and with the help on the board will help you run your own pool.....without the pool store prices.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all your help!!! I have a huge thing of the powder shock from leslies I just bought. Can I continue to use that until it's gone or would straight liquid bleach be better. And where can I buy the tf-100. Locally or do I need to order one? I want to get started today

10. Back To Top    #10

What is the chemical of the powdered shock? Calcium Hypo - or Di-Chlor?

Both contain chlorine - but Di-Chlor also contains CYA - which will make chlorine less effective as it builds up in the water.

If your CYA is 35 - I'd guess you are using Cal-Hypo
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dinifam
    One more thing...do I have a chance in heck to get this cleared by next Friday? And should I just filter or run the auto barracuda vacuum thingy?
    With persistence, you should easily be able to clear it by then. I'd run your cleaner for at least several hours a day.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Stupid me....forgot the link.
    http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

It's online only, but Dave has amazingly fast elves working in shipping. They'll have the kit there in no time.

I would stay away from using the powder for now. Not only does it add chlorine, but also adds to your CYA level. Stay with liquid for now, and you can use the powder later. To start shocking we can guess our way for a few days. Do you have any test kit?

13. Back To Top    #13

I will go buy massive amounts of bleach then. And order a test kit. I have strips only right now. Is there something inexpensive I could buy to use? Any idea how much bleach we are talking about?

14. Back To Top    #14

Alright. I ordered a kit. And now where should I go to find a pool brush?? I have never even heard about brushing a pool before!!! I am such a newbie!

15. Back To Top    #15

Oh and I don't know what kind of chemical it is. It is Chlor bright granular from leslies...

16. Back To Top    #16

You can find a brush at Walmart. Back in the garden section. The biggest plus of a brush is that it helps move the water around more than the pump. Circulating the water helps make sure all parts of the pool gets clean. Brushing the walls as well helps preventing algae from sticking to the walls and growing.

17. Back To Top    #17

Chlor Bright is Di-Chlor - So stay away

That brings up another issue. It is possible that your CYA number is wrong. Without a good CYA test it is going to be hard to determine what your shock number should be. This may actually be your whole issue - you have high CYA (100+) and just haven't had sufficient chlorine in the pool to shock it.

Leslie's test is notorious for getting CYA wrong (I speak from personal experience)

Any idea how much Di-Chlor you've used this year? In terms of oz? A quick estimate based on bags or tubs would help.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Total I have used about 1/4 of the big bucket so perhaps 16 cups and then another 10 cups on Friday. I actually went to a different pool place cuz leslies couldnt come up with anything to fix it (treadway pool). And they are the ones who came up with a number of 34

19. Back To Top    #19

So one more question and I am off to bed for a bit (I work night shift). How many bottles of bleach should I buy and is there anyway for me to start before my test kit arrives?

20. Back To Top    #20

You MAY luck out. Here on the board that "stuff" is often a curse of death. Adding 208oz of dichlor raised your cya around 54ppm. Let's hope you were low at the start.

No more powder shock until you learn just what it does. There's been hundreds of problems on the site from that garbage. Plus....it's expensive.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast