Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A question about replacing pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

A question about replacing pool water

Hello All,

I was browsing the forum and clicked a link which took me to another pool forum, where I found "One hundred reasons for a cloudy pool" and one of the reasons was: 13.Swimming pool water has not been replaced in 5 years or more.

Should pool water be replaced every five years?
    Many Thanks,
    Russ Stevenson
    10k in ground plaster
    Build date around 1980
    1.0 HP pump, Baker Hydropak Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A question about replacing pool water

russ.stevenson:

Welcome to TFP!

I would replace water only if your test results dictate a need to do so - never because of an arbitrary timetable. Two test items I would look at first are your CYA and CH levels. You need some of both items in your pool water, but too much of either can be problematic. If your CYA level is over 90, and/or your CH is over 400, then I would look at replacing a portion of your pool water. How much water should be replaced depends on what your test results are.

For more information, click the Pool Calculator link in my signature. The links in the left-most column will give you more information on each test item. In addition, at the bottom of the calculator, you can enter information about your pool (chlorine source, pool surface, etc.) and gallons (gallons is at the top of the calculator) to get target amounts for each item. Then, based on your test results, the calculator will tell you the % of water that should be replaced (if any).

If you do replace some water, don't forget to retest after the procedure and make any necessary adjustments.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Should pool water be replaced every five years?
    No. It gets replaced virtually every summer in dryer areas anyway.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. My numbers are good and my pool is now sparkling, thanks to you good folks. I still have a little ways to go, but i can see the bottom in the deep end and I took my first swim yesterday. I will post some pics as soon as my wife turns over the camera. This is my first pool and I must say it's kinda fun taking care of it. My wife thinks I'm obsessed.
    Many Thanks,
    Russ Stevenson
    10k in ground plaster
    Build date around 1980
    1.0 HP pump, Baker Hydropak Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by russ.stevenson
    This is my first pool and I must say it's kinda fun taking care of it. My wife thinks I'm obsessed.
    Hey Russ, welcome to the club
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

My DW thinks I'm obsessed too. Or maybe that's possessed!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Lol.... We probably all get that from time to time, but it's great when someone else comes over who has a pool and asks how you get your water so clean and clear. DH always say, "Ask the wife". Love it!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

We had some friends over a few weeks ago and David's wife mentioned that she could see a trail in the water from his sunblock (I do believe it was mentioned that he put too much on though). They're not pool owners so they have no clue how clear it has to be for that to happen. I've never even noticed it myself.

My Fiance mentions how clear it is, quite often and she's very happy. It's nice to have your work appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by russ.stevenson
    "One hundred reasons for a cloudy pool" and one of the reasons was: 13.Swimming pool water has not been replaced in 5 years or more.
    I can't believe some of the things people will say to cover the fact that they don't know how to properly maintain their pools.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]