Cutting grass around Intex

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to the whole pool responsibility stuff. We put up an Intex 16x48 last weekend and everything has been great. We live in the middle of what used to be a hay field. i cut about 4.5-5 acres every week. I cut yesterday and tried my best to throttle down the mower and cut discharging the clippings away from the pool for probably a good 12-15 feet.

Since the Intex is AG, the clippings weren't that big of a deal, what was though was the dust stirred up from the mower. I cut with a 60" 29HP zero turn. The dust carried from the mower to the pool where a TON of it settled....goodbye new cartridge that was put in Wednesday. I guess my question is my best option to place the cover over the pool before every cutting? If so, that's not a problem, but how do you suggest drying the cover out in between uses and how/what do you store your cover in?

Another option, one that I hope most of you will suggest so I can tell my wife, see problem solved, is to purchase the Intex 2650 sand filter and just hook up the surface skimmer before I begin to cut and not worry about the few clippings and tons of dust that settle on it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Samantha Sabrina said:
One easy simple idea would be to water the area down around the pool a bit before you mow, enough to at least settle the dust.

I did try this with the area right around the pool and it helped some. I use a push mower with a bagger right next to the pool. The problem is actually coming from way across the yard/field with the wind blowing the dust. Zero turns are nice as far as time saving goes, but the blade speed is like a jet engine so dirt/sand really gets stirred up under the deck of the mower.

I say go for the sandfilter! I have the same size pool with the 1600gph Intex Sand Filter and its been great! Super clean pool :)
IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

I haven't seen a solid cover in 2 or 3 years. Not saying they're not out there, but I've not seen one. I liked them better as they kept the rain water out of the pool water. When I had the inflatable ring pools I could just drain off whatever accumulated on top and go on about my business. Those drain holes allow whatever gets on the cover into the pool.

Another recommendation here for the sand filter as well! More suction, better skimming, and it'll trap almost all of the dirt before it has a chance to settle to the bottom and what does can be vacuumed up easily. How about patching g the holes in the cover? Duct tape on either side or a vinyl patch over them? It'd get you by until you find a solid one or talk the wife into the sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.