Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Cutting grass around Intex

Cutting grass around Intex

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to the whole pool responsibility stuff. We put up an Intex 16x48 last weekend and everything has been great. We live in the middle of what used to be a hay field. i cut about 4.5-5 acres every week. I cut yesterday and tried my best to throttle down the mower and cut discharging the clippings away from the pool for probably a good 12-15 feet.

Since the Intex is AG, the clippings weren't that big of a deal, what was though was the dust stirred up from the mower. I cut with a 60" 29HP zero turn. The dust carried from the mower to the pool where a TON of it settled....goodbye new cartridge that was put in Wednesday. I guess my question is my best option to place the cover over the pool before every cutting? If so, that's not a problem, but how do you suggest drying the cover out in between uses and how/what do you store your cover in?

Another option, one that I hope most of you will suggest so I can tell my wife, see problem solved, is to purchase the Intex 2650 sand filter and just hook up the surface skimmer before I begin to cut and not worry about the few clippings and tons of dust that settle on it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

Re: Cutting grass around Intex

One easy simple idea would be to water the area down around the pool a bit before you mow, enough to at least settle the dust.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Sabrina
    One easy simple idea would be to water the area down around the pool a bit before you mow, enough to at least settle the dust.
    I did try this with the area right around the pool and it helped some. I use a push mower with a bagger right next to the pool. The problem is actually coming from way across the yard/field with the wind blowing the dust. Zero turns are nice as far as time saving goes, but the blade speed is like a jet engine so dirt/sand really gets stirred up under the deck of the mower.
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

I say go for the sandfilter! I have the same size pool with the 1600gph Intex Sand Filter and its been great! Super clean pool

5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.

Big Lots has the cover for the intex 16' pool for $30. I'd get a cover for it and get the better filter.
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

There is a cover that came with the pool. Navy blue intex cover with a couple of golf ball size holes in the top of the cover. Is there a cover that is solid across the top with no holes?
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

I haven't seen a solid cover in 2 or 3 years. Not saying they're not out there, but I've not seen one. I liked them better as they kept the rain water out of the pool water. When I had the inflatable ring pools I could just drain off whatever accumulated on top and go on about my business. Those drain holes allow whatever gets on the cover into the pool.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

Another recommendation here for the sand filter as well! More suction, better skimming, and it'll trap almost all of the dirt before it has a chance to settle to the bottom and what does can be vacuumed up easily. How about patching g the holes in the cover? Duct tape on either side or a vinyl patch over them? It'd get you by until you find a solid one or talk the wife into the sand filter.
    18' Summer Escapes ProSeries - 7600gal - Hayward 1hp pump w/18" sand filter - AquaTrol SWG -

http://www.biglots.com/search/product/7042

It's made by Summer Escapes. My pool came with one of these and there were no holes in the cover.
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

Walmart has a clear blue cover with no holes for around $30. It fits 16-20 ft. diameter ools. It was a little big for our 18' easy set pool, but works well with the 18' ultra frame.
    18' X 48" Intex Ultra-frame with Intex 1600 GPH sand filter.