Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: my pool is a bug motel

1. Back To Top    #1

my pool is a bug motel

bugs check in but they don't check out.... for some reason my pool is collecting a huge number of bugs- all types- moths, bees, flys, beetles, even scorpions. I live in scottsdale (Grayhawk), and where I grew up (about 10 miles away) I never had this problem. I was talking to a friend who lives several blocks away, he doesn't have this problem.
    16 K gal pool & spa, concrete (pebblefina), Jandy aquapure SWG, Jandy pda-PS3, PV3 infloor cleaning. built 2011, scottsdale,az

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my pool is a bug motel

Pool lighting or lights nearby?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

good though on the lights,
    there are some, but not excessive. the ones around the pool are small. there are much brighter ones under the patio, by the house. the ones in the pool are colored (and cycle through unfortunately). the spa has a white light, but there are not more in there.
    16 K gal pool & spa, concrete (pebblefina), Jandy aquapure SWG, Jandy pda-PS3, PV3 infloor cleaning. built 2011, scottsdale,az

4. Back To Top    #4

Borax is great at deterring crawling bugs. You could pour a little around your fence line.
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey, I'm new to TFP but I couldn't resist becoming a member because I think I have found a way of getting rid of those pesty bugs. I had a bad bug problem, they were these tiny, tiny little brown things that you could hardly even see but it mad going in the pool uncomfortable. I used Avon's "Skin So Soft", I sprayed the top of my liner around the pool and the copping (plastic trim around the pool). I did this early morning before noon when I went to check the pool there were so many dead stuck to the copping but I noticed that there were also so many dead bugs in the pool too. With a role of paper towels I went around and whipped them away, that took a little bit of time. I hope that "Skin So Soft" from Avon works for you as well as it worked for me
    25000 Gallons - Sand - IG- Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by marilu
    Hey, I'm new to TFP but I couldn't resist becoming a member because I think I have found a way of getting rid of those pesty bugs. I had a bad bug problem, they were these tiny, tiny little brown things that you could hardly even see but it mad going in the pool uncomfortable. I used Avon's "Skin So Soft", I sprayed the top of my liner around the pool and the copping (plastic trim around the pool). I did this early morning before noon when I went to check the pool there were so many dead stuck to the copping but I noticed that there were also so many dead bugs in the pool too. With a role of paper towels I went around and whipped them away, that took a little bit of time. I hope that "Skin So Soft" from Avon works for you as well as it worked for me
    Welcome to TFP!

I would highly discourage applying anything like that to your liner.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Dittos on the spreading borax around, it deters bugs.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

If you could see the amount of bugs it collected you would definitely have a different out look. I only spray it at the top edge of liner were the water surface touches the pool edges but some does go into the water. After carefully whipping it off with paper towel I did notice the cooping having a slippery surface but I would choose that over these tiny annoying bugs any day and no one seems to mind the smell of the skin-so-soft. Again this is just a suggestion.
    25000 Gallons - Sand - IG- Vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by steinholder
    Borax is great at deterring crawling bugs. You could pour a little around your fence line.
    most are flying bugs, besides my two puppies would probably think they were in "Scarface" and have a snortfest!

10. Back To Top    #10

All the bugs in ours are little black beetles and sweat bees.

Best to not be having to send puppies to rehab... lol

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -