Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plant life coming up through liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Plant life coming up through liner

Would you believe today when I was trying out some new goggles I happen to notice 3 pieces of plant life coming up through the liner, they are now clear in color due to my shocking of the pool when I opened it. 2 of the little plants are next to the seam at the junction of the wall and the floor,the other is in about 15 inches from the edge.
    It is leaking but they appear to be slow leaks as far as I'm aware of.
    How do I fix these leaks without draining my water.
    Will try and post some pics when I get them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14500 gl, oval, vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plant life coming up through liner

Wow... something I fear.

I would guess you would need to do your best to remove as much of the plant as you can without harming your liner any further and then apply a patch. I would venture to guess that due to your shocking the pool that the plants themselves are dead and shouldn't be a further problem after that.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks like nutsedge. I am sorry to say, I have a feeling you may be finding more... The best nutsedge killer I have found is image herbicide. It should have been applied to the ground prior to putting up the pool...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

could this be the culprit it seems to grow all over the place, and if so how do I remedy the situation
    Thanks for all the help
    Regards David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14500 gl, oval, vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

Injecting Image herbicide under the edge of the pool is probably about all you can do until you replace the liner. If you get a good soaking around the pool you may be able to fend it off. Patching the holes as rather easy. Just pull the grass out and apply a patch over the hole.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Long term fix may require emptying the pool, spray the area, new liner with gorilla pad. I believe gorilla pad stops nut grass.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list