Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I guess it's a leak :0(

1. Back To Top    #1

I guess it's a leak :0(

At first I thought it was just evaporation, but now we're loosing 2-3 inches of water a day. I keep refilling it so that the pump can keep running. I don't see a noticable hole anywhere.
    Replacing the liner is going to be interesting, our above ground pool is buried, so I'm worried about draining it to put a new liner in it.

I'm confused on how to proceed!
    13K Gal, AG (buried in-ground) pool, Pentair SD40 19" Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Dynamo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I guess it's a leak :0(

Is it possible to turn off the pump and plug all of the skimmers/returns overnight to determine if the leak is in the plumbing or in the liner? I'd start with that and see if you can narrow it down.
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

If it were my pool, I'd get in and swim the seams around and across the whole pool touching every square inch of the bottom for pockets and looking for sand. I would also look behind the steps (if you have steps that get lowered into the pool as in Wedding Cake styles). You could have ripped the liner on install (I have done this and it does cause massive water loss!!!) Aslo check under the steps/ladder.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

We had the same thing happen last week. I was fearful of a liner leak, but ended up being a plumbing leak.

We have a solar panel and hadn't used it because we were away for the weekend. Apparently the valve for the solar panel wasn't shutting completely and was leaking by up to the panels and one of the pipes to or from the panel was leaking. The connection wasn't something we were looking at because we thought we had the solar panels shut off.

Found out Hubby knew we had a "small" leak in that line, but hadn't taken the time to fix it because it wasn't losing "much" water... well, it turned out he was wrong.

If you haven't checked all of your plumbing connections, but I assume you have, don't expect a leak to be "small"... Hubby found out the hard way.

The others gave you good suggestions for looking into the liner as the issue..

Good Luck!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think it's a plumbing issue, but I will definatly have hubby double check that tomorrow. I haven't checked every single seam, I'll do that tomorrow also. I have checked around and under the ladder, nothing there.

I would be over the moon if it was just the plumbing.
    13K Gal, AG (buried in-ground) pool, Pentair SD40 19" Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Dynamo pump

6. Back To Top    #6

My husband may have been a little wrong in his estimation of how much water we're loosing. I've marked the pool so we'll see how much we're actually loosing in a 24 hr period.
    We do have a very small plumbling leak, it's not very much though.
    I have another question, how much water loss is a normal evaporation amount? The pool is in full sun except for about 3 hours in the evening.

7. Back To Top    #7

This might be of interest to you. It will tell you how much evaporation you have and how much is or maybe isn't leaking.

http://www.sunriseleak.com/evaporation-test.html
    Intex 15x48, Intex Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Intex 14" Sand Filter, TF-100 unicorn eating spaghetti while riding a unicycle on a high wire during a storm edition test kit,

http://tftestkits.net

8. Back To Top    #8

Having water leak out the waste line is really common as well. It can be tricky because depending on how your filter is plumbed, you may not be able to see it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden