Am I on the right track?

Jun 10, 2012
Chicago | SW side
Hi. Just got an EZ Set Intex pool last week. I followed TroubleFreePool's Beginner's Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools (THANK YOU for that!). I am new to all of this and don't really know anyone with a pool so I'm asking you all if I am on the right track.

Pool was filled on Sunday. 15'x48" Approx. 3800 gallons. Daughter eager to swim so I put in a bottle of Clorox. This was BEFORE I found TroubleFreePool.com

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - I added Dichlor. 8oz, diluted in bucket of pool water and then added to pool.

Here's where my tests are tonight:
FC: 5
CC: did not test for
pH: less than 7.0
TA: 90
CH: 130
CYA: less than 30
water looks clear to me ?????

I'm basically concerned about pH and CYA levels. I have NO IDEA what to do to raise the pH. I diluted 4oz. of dichlor tonight in a bucket of pool water and then added it to the pool. Pump is running as we speak.

Oh, I've also added 6 oz. of Polyquat 60 for alge prevention.

So, am I on the right track? What do I need to do to achieve more "perfect" numbers? Thanks! This website is SUCH A HUGE HELP!!!!!

Michele
EZ Set Intex 15'x48" approx. 3800 gallons
Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump model 637R/56637E 1,000 GPH

Yes, you are on the right track. That said, a few things to do.

1. Buy some borax (20 Mule Team, in the laundry aisle of any grocery/big box store). Use enough to get it above 7.0, pronto. Aim for 7.2, that way if you overshoot, you're still good. If you undershoot, add some more.

2. Add enough cyanuric acid, aka stabilizer, to bring your CYA level up to 30. CYA is easy to add, but difficult to lower, so start slow.

Welcome to TFP!

Thank you for your replies! I feel a little bit better now. :) You hear enough horror stories and you begin to wonder if this is worth it. But we've so enjoyed using our little pool, so I want to make sure it stays safe for us to use. My next fear is ALGAE.

Any suggestions on how to prevent? I don't see any signs of it, but that doesn't mean it's not there, right?

Thanks again!

I also have a question about testing for CC or TC. How is it done? Perhaps I have too much chlorine because each day I have tested, besides today, it has been above eight. I didn't bother today because I've gotten into the habit of not testing the CC because of the chlorine level being so high. Thanks for your patience! :)

MClaeson said:
My next fear is ALGAE. Any suggestions on how to prevent? I don't see any signs of it, but that doesn't mean it's not there, right!
Take a look at the Chlorine/CYA chart. Keep your chlorine level above the minimum for your CYA level at all times. This will prevent algae from growing in your pool.

MClaeson said:
I also have a question about testing for CC or TC. How is it done? Perhaps I have too much chlorine because each day I have tested, besides today, it has been above eight. I didn't bother today because I've gotten into the habit of not testing the CC because of the chlorine level being so high. Thanks for your patience! :)
How did you provide the test results you got above? The only reliable way to test for FC and CC is with an FAS-DPD chlorine test. Most of us use either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006.

Also, at any given CYA level, it is safe to swim up to shock level.

I was able to get a better reading on the free chlorine level today by only using that 1.75 amounts of cool water and diluting the rest of the gathering tube with regular tap water and then multiplying my results by five so it looks like I have a reading of 10 for the free chlorine and then I did the testing for the total chlorine and I don't think I know what I'm doing because the color in the tube did not change at all it's a big confusing so I'm not really sure if I'm doing it right.

I also added that one cup of borax to the water. I diluted it in a bucket of pool water first. And when I tested the pH later it was getting close to the 7.4 color so I think that's going up nicely. I also kept the cover off of the pool today in hopes that we would get some rain but of course we didn't so I am I don't know if that will have to aerate it or not.

You're headed in the right direction. I'd continue using Dichlor until you get the CYA to about 40 ppm. You can use the pool Calc to figure how much that will be. Keep track of all that you've used and account for that too.

3 lbs of Dichlor will get you to about 48 ppm CYA. Just add enough each day to keep the FC up. As said above watch the pH and add borax as needed to keep it up. Once you have added a total of 3 lbs of Dichlor, switch to bleach and aim for 5 ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As Allison eluded to. It really depends on your current pH and TA as to how much you need to add. So there's no hard fast rule as to how much you need.

If you need help with the Pool Calc just post back and we can guide you through it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.