Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I on the right track?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I on the right track?

Hi. Just got an EZ Set Intex pool last week. I followed TroubleFreePool's Beginner's Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools (THANK YOU for that!). I am new to all of this and don't really know anyone with a pool so I'm asking you all if I am on the right track.

Pool was filled on Sunday. 15'x48" Approx. 3800 gallons. Daughter eager to swim so I put in a bottle of Clorox. This was BEFORE I found TroubleFreePool.com

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - I added Dichlor. 8oz, diluted in bucket of pool water and then added to pool.

Here's where my tests are tonight:
    FC: 5
    CC: did not test for
    pH: less than 7.0
    TA: 90
    CH: 130
    CYA: less than 30
    water looks clear to me ?????

I'm basically concerned about pH and CYA levels. I have NO IDEA what to do to raise the pH. I diluted 4oz. of dichlor tonight in a bucket of pool water and then added it to the pool. Pump is running as we speak.

Oh, I've also added 6 oz. of Polyquat 60 for alge prevention.

So, am I on the right track? What do I need to do to achieve more "perfect" numbers? Thanks! This website is SUCH A HUGE HELP!!!!!

Michele
    EZ Set Intex 15'x48" approx. 3800 gallons
    Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump model 637R/56637E 1,000 GPH
    Michele
    Intex EZ Set 15'x48"
    approx. 3800 gallons
    Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump | 1,000 GPH

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I on the right track?

Yes, you are on the right track. That said, a few things to do.

1. Buy some borax (20 Mule Team, in the laundry aisle of any grocery/big box store). Use enough to get it above 7.0, pronto. Aim for 7.2, that way if you overshoot, you're still good. If you undershoot, add some more.

2. Add enough cyanuric acid, aka stabilizer, to bring your CYA level up to 30. CYA is easy to add, but difficult to lower, so start slow.

Welcome to TFP!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Adjust pH first.

So have you added 12 oz of dichlor so far?

That would have add 12 CYA and dropped your pH by .5. You need more CYA. If you are going to use dichlor to get it, have borax ready to raise your pH as it will drop it again.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your replies! I feel a little bit better now. You hear enough horror stories and you begin to wonder if this is worth it. But we've so enjoyed using our little pool, so I want to make sure it stays safe for us to use. My next fear is ALGAE.

Any suggestions on how to prevent? I don't see any signs of it, but that doesn't mean it's not there, right?

Thanks again!
    Michele
    Intex EZ Set 15'x48"
    approx. 3800 gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I also have a question about testing for CC or TC. How is it done? Perhaps I have too much chlorine because each day I have tested, besides today, it has been above eight. I didn't bother today because I've gotten into the habit of not testing the CC because of the chlorine level being so high. Thanks for your patience!
    Michele
    Intex EZ Set 15'x48"
    approx. 3800 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MClaeson
    My next fear is ALGAE. Any suggestions on how to prevent? I don't see any signs of it, but that doesn't mean it's not there, right!
    Take a look at the Chlorine/CYA chart. Keep your chlorine level above the minimum for your CYA level at all times. This will prevent algae from growing in your pool.

Quote Originally Posted by MClaeson
    I also have a question about testing for CC or TC. How is it done? Perhaps I have too much chlorine because each day I have tested, besides today, it has been above eight. I didn't bother today because I've gotten into the habit of not testing the CC because of the chlorine level being so high. Thanks for your patience!
    How did you provide the test results you got above? The only reliable way to test for FC and CC is with an FAS-DPD chlorine test. Most of us use either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006.

Also, at any given CYA level, it is safe to swim up to shock level.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

7. Back To Top    #7

I also use the Taylor K-2005 testing kit.

I just added 1 cup of Borax and it is going to rain here later so I took the pool cover off and am hoping that the rain will also aerate the pool surface.
    Michele
    Intex EZ Set 15'x48"
    approx. 3800 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

The K-2005 doesn't have the FAS-DPD kit, so the range and precision are less. The FAS-DPD add-on is a relatively easy and cheap addition that will be a huge help for shocking.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was able to get a better reading on the free chlorine level today by only using that 1.75 amounts of cool water and diluting the rest of the gathering tube with regular tap water and then multiplying my results by five so it looks like I have a reading of 10 for the free chlorine and then I did the testing for the total chlorine and I don't think I know what I'm doing because the color in the tube did not change at all it's a big confusing so I'm not really sure if I'm doing it right.

I also added that one cup of borax to the water. I diluted it in a bucket of pool water first. And when I tested the pH later it was getting close to the 7.4 color so I think that's going up nicely. I also kept the cover off of the pool today in hopes that we would get some rain but of course we didn't so I am I don't know if that will have to aerate it or not.
    Michele
    Intex EZ Set 15'x48"
    approx. 3800 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

You're headed in the right direction. I'd continue using Dichlor until you get the CYA to about 40 ppm. You can use the pool Calc to figure how much that will be. Keep track of all that you've used and account for that too.

3 lbs of Dichlor will get you to about 48 ppm CYA. Just add enough each day to keep the FC up. As said above watch the pH and add borax as needed to keep it up. Once you have added a total of 3 lbs of Dichlor, switch to bleach and aim for 5 ppm FC.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Dave!

One more question ... how much Borax do I add? I wasn't sure yesterday so I just added a cup. Is there a hard and fast rule?

Thanks again!

This site should be required reading for anyone who wants to own a pool!
    Michele
    Intex EZ Set 15'x48"
    approx. 3800 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

Enter your numbers into the pool calculator and it will tell you the exact amounts to add. I do not believe you have added enough.

You want to enter in gallons, current pH, target pH, and TA as a minimum when trying to figure out how much borax to add.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

13. Back To Top    #13

As Allison eluded to. It really depends on your current pH and TA as to how much you need to add. So there's no hard fast rule as to how much you need.

If you need help with the Pool Calc just post back and we can guide you through it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit