Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Issues

I've been struggling to get my CYA up to 70 or 80 since the pool was built. My latest test results are the following:

FC - 2.5
    CC - 0.5
    PH 7.8
    CYA 50
    TA 90

I should have my CYA up to 80 with the amount of CYA that I put in. The highest I have been able to test it is 65 maybe 70. We had about 3 or 4 inches of rain and I did a long backwash 2 weeks ago - so could that explain why it went from 65 to 50? I'm really not sure what else I should do. I've followed the extended test instructions and have done the test several times.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Issues

CYA doesn't normally fall anywhere near that quickly, even with a fair bit of backwashing. Is it possible that you have a leak and either have been topping off the pool frequently or do you perhaps have an autofill system? That is the only common way that CYA can go down quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How long after you added the CYA did you backwash.?? I usually make sure I don't backwash too soon for fear of backwashing some of it out of the pool.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I do have an auto fill system. You would think that I would hear the auto fill constantly on if I have a leak? I do hear it when it is filling - it is not that quite. But, it is only occassionally that I hear it when we are in the pool - almost never when we are not in the pool.

I waited 2 weeks after I put the CYA in to do a backwash.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

5. Back To Top    #5

If you turn the auto fill off for a couple of days, it will usually be obvious if you have a leak or not. If you have any doubts you can do a bucket test (put a bucket in the pool, say on a step, with the same water level as the pool. Evaporation will lower both the pool and the bucket, while a leak will lower the pool more quickly than the bucket).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School