Good Sunscreen that doesn't leave the Black Gunk

Yellowbug33

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Relatives use our pool a lot and slab on the sunscreen. Banana Boat for the kids which I can't blame them but.... I lift the skimmer cover and clean out the black gunk all inside the skimmer which is like auto grease. I really don't care for that gunk and I use Natural Chemistry Pool Perfect to no avail.
It's sickening to see that black gunk and I wonder what it does to my pipes and filters. Anybody know of a brand that won't do this. I know it is the sunscreen as when the kids don't use the pool I don't get the black gunk. Thanks

I just remembered reading on here about a scum ball or a slime ball that goes in the skimmer and absorbs the oily residue. I have yet to research on them yet. If they worked my family would be much happier swimming in the sun instead of the shade. Lol maybe someone who has used them can testify on how good they work.

I haven't noticed any black gunk in our skimmers and our pool is in full sun in SC. We put Water Babies brand SPF50 on our kids every time they get in the pool.....we don't let them swim without it being in full sun. Maybe I'm just not well versed in pool/sunscreen issues since our pool was put in last summer (late) but we haven't noticed any issues.

I haven't noticed any "gunk" either, but we don't have a lot of kids in it often, usually just a few at a time... might make the difference.

I would think the ones that cause the problem are probably the better sunscreens that stay on your skin longer, but that doesn't help with clean up.

Usually the problem is not with the sunscreen but with the amount of time the sunscreen is applied before going into the water. The sunscreen needs to be waterproof and then waiting 15 minutes minimum before jumping in to the water is the rule at my house. If these rules are followed you should not have problems with the sunscreen. These instructions are also on the sunscreen.

ping said:
Usually the problem is not with the sunscreen but with the amount of time the sunscreen is applied before going into the water. The sunscreen needs to be waterproof and then waiting 15 minutes minimum before jumping in to the water is the rule at my house. If these rules are followed you should not have problems with the sunscreen. These instructions are also on the sunscreen.

That's exactly the problem with my family! They think they have to bathe in sunscreen before they can go out in the sun and I'm not kidding when I say they bathe in it. They slather on so much you can see the white all over their skin!! :shock: Couldn't get it thru to them to use less and rub it in and wait... :hammer: Maybe the spray on would be better instead of lotions???? Does the SPF make a diff too? They all use 50 and above.

I don't know if the spf would make a difference. I know a friend of mine comes over with her kids and has on occasion used the spray stuff... they tend to get sun before those that use the rub on kind. I think maybe it washes off faster in the chlorine, but re-application is easy enough.

We do try to wait a bit after lathering in it before we get in the pool. Might be a reason why I've not had any issues ??

You might just make it a rule to wait at least 10 minutes after application before getting in the pool, and no noticeable white left on the skin. It's your pool... They need to follow the rules to keep it clean and sanitary.

Jamison04 said:
ping said:

That's exactly the problem with my family! They think they have to bathe in sunscreen before they can go out in the sun and I'm not kidding when I say they bathe in it. They slather on so much you can see the white all over their skin!! :shock: Couldn't get it thru to them to use less and rub it in and wait... :hammer: Maybe the spray on would be better instead of lotions???? Does the SPF make a diff too? They all use 50 and above.

LOL those type of people crack me up! You should get them some of the zinc sticks for their face....

Rule at my house is you have to let the sunscreen soak in, we use the Coppertone spray on the kids if the wife is applying it, I use the Water Babies Lotion on them if i am applying it. I use http://www.hawaiiantropic.com/NewProduc ... _hydration which i'm really liking

I haven't noticed any oily film or black stuff yet.

I have noticed that if you spray the spray on concrete or wood (not sealed) you will see to tiny footprints where you didn't spray and it will take a couple pressure washing's to remove it. Spray sunscreen is now applied in the grass at our house. Also there was that news story the other day about the spray sunscreen.....the type we use does indeed have alcohol as the propellant http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... -grilling/

harleysilo said:
LOL those type of people crack me up! You should get them some of the zinc sticks for their face....

Rule at my house is you have to let the sunscreen soak in, we use the Coppertone spray on the kids if the wife is applying it, I use the Water Babies Lotion on them if i am applying it. I use http://www.hawaiiantropic.com/NewProduc ... _hydration which i'm really liking

I have noticed that if you spray the spray on concrete or wood (not sealed) you will see to tiny footprints where you didn't spray and it will take a couple pressure washing's to remove it. Spray sunscreen is now applied in the grass at our house. Also there was that news story the other day about the spray sunscreen.....the type we use does indeed have alcohol as the propellant http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... -grilling/

I really like the Hawaiian Tropics products as well. Haven't tried their Hydration yet. I'm the only one who doesn't fry or burn and darkens up nicely. (they all hate me) The immediate family isn't really a problem at home tho. Now the lake is a diff story. They are pasty white and i mean PASTY! LOL so they think that more is better and cake it on. At home they agree to just wait until the pool is shaded before swimming. The extended family is just as bad with the sunscreen. Those are the ones I've banned from swimming with sunblock. That sounds so horrible but they aren't paying for the upkeep of the pool and bleach to raise the Cl back up after they burn it all off with their gloppy sun block!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
I have one of those scumballs. It has turned black and greasy, so I guess it works. Rumor has it that Magic Eraser (cleaning or laundry aisle) will remove the black inside the skimmer.
Excellent! Still have a ring of gunk in the skimmer from our memorial weekend gathering. It just smears when I try to wipe it off. Going to buy a magic eraser and try it.
I see Leslies has the slimeballs in a 2 pack for $14.99. Each ball has a 3 month life expectancy so that's not too bad.

Richard320 said:
I have one of those scumballs. It has turned black and greasy, so I guess it works. Rumor has it that Magic Eraser (cleaning or laundry aisle) will remove the black inside the skimmer.

I use a magic eraser daily on the sidewalls of my fiberglass pool. I haven't found a solution to the sun screen scum on the sidewalls other than to wipe it off at the end of the day with the magic eraser.

I get the black slime all the time from people spraying on the tanning oil while laying on a float! The slime ball works but spiders love to hang out on it and I get big ones so I dont use it anymore. The Magic Eraser is the best thing I have found to get rid of it. I wish I could find a product I could use to just spray on it and not have to put my hand in the skimmer... always afraid of whats hiding in there....

I haven't seen black gunk in our skimmer yet, but I did notice that one parent applying heavy duty sunscreen to their kid who was going into our pool....the sunscreen accidently fell on the pool coping before it dried and left a stain I haven't been able to remove despite about 20 minutes of trying using various methods and is still there now about 2 weeks later. Gah, what is in this stuff?

Anyhow, I researched online at amazon/etc and will be trying out "KINeSYS Sunscreen, SPF 30, Spray" which seems to be much safer overall and degradeable ingredients and should work well enough. I'll have to see if I have to make some kind of policy about what sunscreen can be brought by guests to the pool.

Jamison04 said:
harleysilo said:

I really like the Hawaiian Tropics products as well. Haven't tried their Hydration yet. I'm the only one who doesn't fry or burn and darkens up nicely. (they all hate me) The immediate family isn't really a problem at home tho. Now the lake is a diff story. They are pasty white and i mean PASTY! LOL so they think that more is better and cake it on. At home they agree to just wait until the pool is shaded before swimming. The extended family is just as bad with the sunscreen. Those are the ones I've banned from swimming with sunblock. That sounds so horrible but they aren't paying for the upkeep of the pool and bleach to raise the Cl back up after they burn it all off with their gloppy sun block!!!

I noticed the other day, after waiting ~20 mins. that when i got in the water, with swim goggles, I could see my sunscreen coming off of my arms. This is the Hawaiian Tropic product mentioned above. Now I don't think it all came off, and i don't know that it causes any residue to build up, but I could definitely see a haze/cloud form in the water within and inch of my arm, and rubbing my arm caused it to intensify.

Thanks to this website i have clear enough water to notice!

Did check the kids they had already been in the pool for some time...well check in the future.

Arise, thread!

Newbie pool owner here. Inherited pool from a house we bought recently.

In the notes from the PB, someone wrote "WATER BASED SUNBLOCK ONLY PLEASE"

I don't think there is anything unusual about this pool - any ideas why someone would write that, and if it's a recommended practice, some good water based sunblocks?

Thanks

After our first swim party with a new pool, I noticed a nice dark ring on the tile about 3 inches high above the waterline and there was an oil slick in the water, all caused from the sunscreen coming off in the water. To clean up the pool, we had to increase the FC and scrub the tile clean. That is why they want a sunscreen that is "WATER BASED SUNBLOCK ONLY PLEASE".

I believe the water based sunblock is meant to mean the sunscreen needs to be water resistant or water proof. The key is waiting 15 minutes after applying before entering the water to let the sunscreen be absorbed. There are many good sunscreens that are water resistant, just make sure the label says it is.

ping said:
I believe the water based sunblock is meant to mean the sunscreen needs to be water resistant or water proof.

I wondered about that, but if that's the case, that's a completely different thing! I would think using water-repellent, or water proof sunblock would be self evident if you are going to swim, but I also thought that it was written to indicate no tanning oils, for instance, which is a completely different material than sunblock of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.