Floating Algae

LisaM

May 26, 2011
I had a green swamp I turned to a crystal clear pool... or so I thought. I was laying there today and saw a clump of algae float by. I am thinking it is re propagating from my filter. i have a hayward 3620 with the nest of grids. I have a hard time putting it back together so I am hoping for an easy way to clean them without removing them from the manifold. Any suggestions? Also it is going to rain for the next 2 days so I am thinking it would be better to shock the pool AFTER that...

I was trying to use the pool calculator for the first time and i came up with just 2 bottles of 12% to get to shock.. hope thats right it seems like too little! I was planning on throwing in 4. Did I do it right? these are my current numbers.

FC 2.6
TC 4.4
CC 1.8
TA 102
PH 7.8
CH 103
CYA 18

I am thrilled if thats right! every dollar saved is a good thing these days!!! :)

Which like I said I am definitely going to shock after the two days of rain. Are you saying though that there is no need to take the filter apart? It will not create a new algae bloom? I was under the impression that live algae spores could hide out in the filter after a large bloom and it was best to take the filter apart after you have cleaned up your swamp. I thought I read it somewhere on the board I just couldnt find the post. I also thought I read about an easy way to clean these grids without having to remove them from the manifold but in searching couldnt locate it. If thats not the case then thats great because even taking the top off that thing is a pain in the butt and I have a heck of time getting the stupid thing back together without it leaking so if I dont have to mess with it I would rather not...

When the water is at shock level, algae shouldn't survive anywhere... except any crevices in the liner, under the steps, etc. It's good to brush frequently to keep any sediment from allowing algae a place to hide from the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.