Newbie - Need Help w/ Test Levels

jmon22

Jun 10, 2012
Hello,

I just bought a house with a pool and have a few questions. I have already read the pool school. I only have a K1004 test kit, as that is all the pool store recommended for a beginner. From looking on this site more though it seems they were wrong. First, should I go exchange this one for a more extensive one?

Next, when I tested on Thursday, I only had about 1 PPM free chlorine, so I shocked it with 3 bags of Shock (the old homeowners left it behind) Didn't measure to know if I shocked it enough, this was before reading pool school.

I tested again today, here is what I am looking at. 3-6 Free, 5-10 Total Chlorine 7.5 PH 200 Alkalinity. Obviously too much Combined, and a little high on the Alkalinity. Should I shock again this soon? What is my best course of action?

Also, I see that bleach is my best bet, however I already have an auto chlorinator running with a few 3 inch pucks that were left. How should I handle this? Use both? Take the pucks out and just use bleach?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to tfp, jmon22 :wave:

jmon22 said:
I only have a K1004 test kit, as that is all the pool store recommended for a beginner. From looking on this site more though it seems they were wrong. First, should I go exchange this one for a more extensive one?
Unlikely they are going to have what you need, but you want a test kit with a FAS-DPD FC test and a cya (cyanuric acid) test. Another option would be to keep what you have, and add the FAS-DPD FC test and cya test. TFtestkits carries it here: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.htmlhttp://tftestkits.net/CYA-Cyanuric-Acid-Test-p48.html

jmon22 said:
I tested again today, here is what I am looking at. 3-6 Free, 5-10 Total Chlorine 7.5 PH 200 Alkalinity. Obviously too much Combined, and a little high on the Alkalinity. Should I shock again this soon? What is my best course of action?
You need a cya test to know what your shock level should be. Also on tfp, shocking is a process not a one time event. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

jmon22 said:
Also, I see that bleach is my best bet, however I already have an auto chlorinator running with a few 3 inch pucks that were left. How should I handle this? Use both? Take the pucks out and just use bleach?
Most likely then, your cya levels are high, since the pucks add it while adding chlorine. I would stop using it, at least until you know your cya level. Use bleach/Liquid chlorine for now and get a value for cya. Pool stores are notoriously bad at this measurement...so you could have them test it, but you are better off getting you own test for it. If your cya level is too high, you will have to do a drain/refill. Take a look at this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

You need a real kit like mentioned on this site, they have great prices. Needed info is the CYA levels. If all that was used is pucks and the pool water hasn't changed for a long time then your CYA may be really high which is bad. Bleach is best because it has nothing added, pucks have CYA in them. Ok to use at times assuming you can monitor the CYA levels. What area do you live in? People can somewhat get away with pucks up here because of the water turnover.

Actually ended up with a K2006.. Here is what I have...

FC- 3
CC- Less than .5
PH- 7.3
Alkalinity- 130
Hardness- 140
CYA- 85

A little high on the CYA from what Pool School says, but other than that I think I look pretty good. Any opinions on what I should do right now?
Thanks!!

Water looks okay to me. Maybe not crystal clear, but not visibly green or cloudy. Draining runs me into another problem though, my pool has wood walls, and the person that was maintaining it warned us not to run the water too low. Obviously every pool will be different, but any advice with how to proceed? Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could use the tarp approach, where you put a tarp over the pool and pump fresh water on top of the tarp, which displaces the water underneath (which is drained or overflows). This is probably the safest way while still giving you the most efficient (least water needed) dilution.

A less efficient way, but easier is to drain from one end, while filling from another while not circulating the pool water (to minimize the mixing of the two concentrations). Even easier if you have a floor drain. However, this approach can use a lot more water to achieve the same results as above.

Do you have a link or any more specific instructions to the tarp approach? I searched and can't find anything. I assume I would just add water to the top of the tarp while I have my pump drain water from the floor drain of my pool?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a million.

You got it. You secure down the edges of the tarp (or plastic sheeting) with weight while leaving some slack in the middle of the tarp and put your fresh water in the middle. Overtime, you let down more slack in the tarp towards the pool so your tarp can hold more water. One other variation on this method is using a silage bag and pumping fresh water into the bag while draining the pool to keep the level the same.

More dumb questions, but reading more I found this... If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80. If you are using an ORP controller, keep CYA below 50. My pool is uncovered in my backyard all day getting a lot of sun. Am I still better off going down to 50? I am guessing it will just be much easier to keep the chlorine levels where they need to be at 50 as opposed to 80?

Do you have a link or any more specific instructions to the tarp approach? I searched and can't find anything.
I have concluded it's an urban legend. I have yet to have someone post on this or other forums that they actually did it. I encouraged it for a few years when it dawned on me I would never do it myself.

Bring your CYA down to 50...everything is easier to manage for a manually chlorinated pool.

Getting there!! Drained and refilled today. CYA down to 50.

FC: .5
CC: less than .5
PH: 7.2
TA: 130
CH: 120

Pool Calculator says add 91 oz of 12% chlorine. Also wants me to raise PH and CH. Other than the chlorine, are either of these extremely necessary right now? Thanks!

You don't ever need to add any calcium because you have a vinyl liner pool.

The PH is fine where it is for now. Since TA is a little high, the PH will probably come up on it's own. If you see PH going below 7.2 raise it, otherwise assume it will go up over time and so you don't need to worry about adjusting it manually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.